There was a raucous New York style greeting for 2013. In Times square a crowd of around one million joined in a spirited rendition of the song, “New York, New York”.
Promises and resolutions were talked off too with the City’s Mayor Michael Bloomberg outlining his goal for 2013, “I’m always working on my waistline,” he quipped.
For Londoners around the world the sight and sound of Big Ben represents the New Year.
Hundreds of thousands lined the Thames for a spectacular firework display welcoming in 2013 and bidding farewell to a year summed up by Mayor Boris Johnson as one that had “glimmered with excitement and enthusiasm”.
Fireworks too in Berlin lighting up the Brandenburg Gate. Six thousand rockets and eleven minutes of fireworks shot into the sky at midnight. It’s reckoned the numbers topped the two million mark for this party.
Spain was out to forget the difficult economic times of last year. Revellers had to put up with pouring rain in Madrid’s Sol Square.
“Health, love, everything, let’s enjoy the new year and let’s stop the crisis,” said one, while another had a request for the prime minister. “Please let’s end the crisis. Nothing has changed for me. The clock bells have rung. Rajoy where is my money?”
Celebrations in Athens ran on a limited budget due to the crisis for a third year in a row. “I am absolutely certain that we can reverse the current situation… that this adventure will end,” Greek President Karolos Papoulias stressed in his New Years message.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 2Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 3Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 4Malaysia plane: oil rig worker reports a “burning plane” as search continues
- 5Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 1Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 2As it happened: Malaysia’s flight mystery remains as searches extended to Malacca Strait
- 3Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
- 4Ships and aircraft from ten countries continue search for missing Malaysia flight
- 5Prayers for a miracle as the fate of missing Malaysia Airlines jet baffles the experts
- 1Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’
- 2Flight MH370: possible mid-air disintegration, unconfirmed object ‘spotted’ in sea
- 3Claims Michael Schumacher is breathing independently played down by his management
- 4Malaysia Airlines plane missing, presumed crashed
- 5Hijacking not ruled out as search for missing Malaysia Airlines jet enters third day
Wires > News
- 18:46 CET NYC buildings explosion kills two, more missing
- 18:42 CET Rocket barrage from Gaza hits Israel, no one hurt – police
- 18:31 CET Manila air-drops supplies to troops on disputed reef
- 18:30 CET Irish court blocks planned airport strike
- 18:28 CET Collapse of coup trial unnerves Turks as Erdogan switches tack
- 18:17 CET Russia can’t thwart Afghan war drawdown, U.S. commander says
- 18:13 CET German Catholic bishops pick pope aide as new leader
- 18:04 CET Tanker coming from Libyan rebel port entered Egyptian waters -…