There was a raucous New York style greeting for 2013. In Times square a crowd of around one million joined in a spirited rendition of the song, “New York, New York”.
Promises and resolutions were talked off too with the City’s Mayor Michael Bloomberg outlining his goal for 2013, “I’m always working on my waistline,” he quipped.
For Londoners around the world the sight and sound of Big Ben represents the New Year.
Hundreds of thousands lined the Thames for a spectacular firework display welcoming in 2013 and bidding farewell to a year summed up by Mayor Boris Johnson as one that had “glimmered with excitement and enthusiasm”.
Fireworks too in Berlin lighting up the Brandenburg Gate. Six thousand rockets and eleven minutes of fireworks shot into the sky at midnight. It’s reckoned the numbers topped the two million mark for this party.
Spain was out to forget the difficult economic times of last year. Revellers had to put up with pouring rain in Madrid’s Sol Square.
“Health, love, everything, let’s enjoy the new year and let’s stop the crisis,” said one, while another had a request for the prime minister. “Please let’s end the crisis. Nothing has changed for me. The clock bells have rung. Rajoy where is my money?”
Celebrations in Athens ran on a limited budget due to the crisis for a third year in a row. “I am absolutely certain that we can reverse the current situation… that this adventure will end,” Greek President Karolos Papoulias stressed in his New Years message.
- 1US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 3US troops in Ukraine to train soldiers, angering Russia
- 4Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 527 survivors of Mediterranean shipwreck reach Italy, death toll 800
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3‘More powerful than a nuke’: Kim Jong-un refreshed after ‘climbing highest peak’
- 4Data raises questions over EU’s attitude towards asylum seekers
- 5Hundreds feared drowned in Mediterranean; Italy calls for help
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 3Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 4ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech
- 5Britain’s RAF scrambles jets as Russian bombers near UK airspace
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 15Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 18[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 19Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
- 20European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
Wires > News
- 16:10 CET West tells Kosovo to create court to hear organ harvesting claims
- 16:07 CET Amnesty International condemns U.S. failure to act on torture…
- 16:03 CET Kazakh leader to extend long rule, promises stability
- 16:02 CET Former Egyptian president Mursi jailed for 20 years
- 15:47 CET EU’s Juncker urges Greece step up effort in debt talks
- 15:32 CET U.N. refugee chief to visit Kenya to plan return of Somali refugees
- 15:31 CET EDF nuclear plant leak in France prompts court complaint
- 15:29 CET Pro-Kurdish party vows to be ‘nightmare’ for Turkey’s Erdogan