There was a raucous New York style greeting for 2013. In Times square a crowd of around one million joined in a spirited rendition of the song, “New York, New York”.
Promises and resolutions were talked off too with the City’s Mayor Michael Bloomberg outlining his goal for 2013, “I’m always working on my waistline,” he quipped.
For Londoners around the world the sight and sound of Big Ben represents the New Year.
Hundreds of thousands lined the Thames for a spectacular firework display welcoming in 2013 and bidding farewell to a year summed up by Mayor Boris Johnson as one that had “glimmered with excitement and enthusiasm”.
Fireworks too in Berlin lighting up the Brandenburg Gate. Six thousand rockets and eleven minutes of fireworks shot into the sky at midnight. It’s reckoned the numbers topped the two million mark for this party.
Spain was out to forget the difficult economic times of last year. Revellers had to put up with pouring rain in Madrid’s Sol Square.
“Health, love, everything, let’s enjoy the new year and let’s stop the crisis,” said one, while another had a request for the prime minister. “Please let’s end the crisis. Nothing has changed for me. The clock bells have rung. Rajoy where is my money?”
Celebrations in Athens ran on a limited budget due to the crisis for a third year in a row. “I am absolutely certain that we can reverse the current situation… that this adventure will end,” Greek President Karolos Papoulias stressed in his New Years message.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Heavy fighting in Donetsk; possible mass grave discovered
- 2Catalan independence put on hold: constitutional court suspends vote
- 3Migrant deaths in Mediterranean reach a record 3,072 in 2014
- 4Red alert in southern France as heavy rains sweep Languedoc region
- 5Spain: Constitutional court votes to suspend Catalonia independence referendum
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Update: Emma Watson nude photos threat may be elaborate PR stunt
- 3Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’
- 4Teenage ‘terror suspect’ shot dead by police in Australia after attacking officers
- 5Watch: Leonardo DiCaprio speech among five must-see clips on UN climate summit
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 3Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 4New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 5Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 6Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 73D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 8Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 9Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 10Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 11Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 12Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 13Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 14#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 15Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 16British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 17Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
- 18The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 19Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 20Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 13:27 CET At least 10 people killed in shelling on and near school in east…
- 13:16 CET New Polish PM signals cautious approach on euro accession
- 13:09 CET Insight – An environmentalist’s calculated push towards Brazil’s…
- 12:58 CET France defies EU partners with “no austerity” budget
- 12:37 CET At least 10 people killed in shelling on and near school in…
- 12:31 CET Gunmen wound Saudi policeman in Shi’ite Muslim stronghold – agency
- 12:19 CET Russia sees chance of six-party talks on North Korea resuming
- 12:07 CET Indebted to America, Kosovo struggles to curb Islamist recruits