Fatah supporters celebrated in Jerusalem the 48th anniversary of the founding of the Palestinian movement
It was a rare occasion for the ancient city which is controlled by Israel and normally refuses to allow Palestinian demonstrations.
Fatah, the largest group in the Palestinian Liberation Organisation was born on January 1 1964.
The recent upgrading of the Palestinians’ diplomatic standing by the United Nations has given many Palestinian officials renewed confidence in their ongoing fight.
One PLO Central Committee member said Fatah will not over react and exploit the rights they obtained at the UN.
But Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas used the anniversary to promise 2013 would see the implementation of Palestinian independence.
Celebrations also took place in Hebron in the West Bank and in Gaza. Permission there was given by the party’s fierce opponents Hamas who seized control of the strip in 2007.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 4Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 5Blast rocks Donetsk chemical plant
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 9How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:52 CET Poland says to appeal European Court ruling on CIA jail
- 15:47 CET War heroes and activists to shape new-look Ukraine parliament
- 15:39 CET Bulgarian court won’t extradite Putin opponent to Russia
- 15:36 CET EU to consider Ukraine request for extra 2 billion euros -…
- 15:33 CET Canadian soldier dies after being run down by suspected militant
- 15:23 CET Romanian ruling-party MP resigns in corruption row
- 15:11 CET Special Report – U.S. visa programme for crime victims is…
- 14:51 CET Islamic State wins ground from Syrian government in east – monitor