Fatah supporters celebrated in Jerusalem the 48th anniversary of the founding of the Palestinian movement
It was a rare occasion for the ancient city which is controlled by Israel and normally refuses to allow Palestinian demonstrations.
Fatah, the largest group in the Palestinian Liberation Organisation was born on January 1 1964.
The recent upgrading of the Palestinians’ diplomatic standing by the United Nations has given many Palestinian officials renewed confidence in their ongoing fight.
One PLO Central Committee member said Fatah will not over react and exploit the rights they obtained at the UN.
But Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas used the anniversary to promise 2013 would see the implementation of Palestinian independence.
Celebrations also took place in Hebron in the West Bank and in Gaza. Permission there was given by the party’s fierce opponents Hamas who seized control of the strip in 2007.
- 1Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the footy
- 2Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
- 3Millions sign referendum re-run petition
- 4What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 5David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Wires > News
- 22:38 CET Pope says Church should ask forgiveness from gays for past…
- 22:29 CET Rio mayor delivers last major Olympic Park installation
- 22:27 CET Pride parades tinged with sadness after Orlando massacre
- 22:17 CET Panama opens canal extension amid growth risks, cost battle
- 22:16 CET British EU vote causes alarm abroad as ripples spread
- 22:15 CET Israel and Turkey agree to normalise ties -senior Israeli official
- 22:11 CET Multiple stabbing victims during rally in Sacramento, California
- 21:27 CET Iraqi commander declares defeat of Islamic State in Falluja