Fatah supporters celebrated in Jerusalem the 48th anniversary of the founding of the Palestinian movement
It was a rare occasion for the ancient city which is controlled by Israel and normally refuses to allow Palestinian demonstrations.
Fatah, the largest group in the Palestinian Liberation Organisation was born on January 1 1964.
The recent upgrading of the Palestinians’ diplomatic standing by the United Nations has given many Palestinian officials renewed confidence in their ongoing fight.
One PLO Central Committee member said Fatah will not over react and exploit the rights they obtained at the UN.
But Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas used the anniversary to promise 2013 would see the implementation of Palestinian independence.
Celebrations also took place in Hebron in the West Bank and in Gaza. Permission there was given by the party’s fierce opponents Hamas who seized control of the strip in 2007.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 21:21 CET Two killed by bomb inside Bahrain car – ministry
- 21:16 CET High stakes as restive Benghazi votes in Libyan local polls
- 20:49 CET Man under evaluation for alleged gun threat at L.A. Times building
- 19:13 CET Italy gives wife, daughter of wanted Kazakh banker refugee status
- 19:04 CET Egyptian court jails Muslim Brotherhood leader for insulting…
- 17:05 CET Strong 7.5 magnitude quake hits off Papua New Guinea
- 17:05 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 17:04 CET New militant group claims responsibility for Friday blast in Cairo