Fatah supporters celebrated in Jerusalem the 48th anniversary of the founding of the Palestinian movement
It was a rare occasion for the ancient city which is controlled by Israel and normally refuses to allow Palestinian demonstrations.
Fatah, the largest group in the Palestinian Liberation Organisation was born on January 1 1964.
The recent upgrading of the Palestinians’ diplomatic standing by the United Nations has given many Palestinian officials renewed confidence in their ongoing fight.
One PLO Central Committee member said Fatah will not over react and exploit the rights they obtained at the UN.
But Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas used the anniversary to promise 2013 would see the implementation of Palestinian independence.
Celebrations also took place in Hebron in the West Bank and in Gaza. Permission there was given by the party’s fierce opponents Hamas who seized control of the strip in 2007.
- 1Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
- 2Ukraine: Civilians killed in shelling amid fragile truce
- 3Migrant crisis becomes hot political issue in Britain and France
- 4Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
- 5Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 13:13 CET Syrian Kurdish forces say ‘provocative’ Turkey targeting them
- 13:09 CET Russia’s Lavrov to meet U.S., Saudi counterparts in Qatar
- 12:07 CET Yemeni vice president arrives in Aden – airport official
- 11:27 CET Palestinian youth dies after West Bank clash with Israeli troops
- 10:26 CET Exclusive – Donald Trump’s companies have sought visas to import…
- 08:24 CET Plane debris arrives in France for Malaysia crash investigation
- 07:06 CET On Army Day, China warns of growing border security risks
- 04:47 CET Mexican judge suspends U.S. extradition order for fugitive ‘Chapo‘…