01/01/13 17:24 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Extra troops have arrived in Central African Republic to shore up the country’s army after a string of defeats left a Seleka rebel alliance within striking distance of the capital Bangui.
The reinforcements have been provided by Congo as part of a regional peacekeeping force sent by the Economic Community of Central African States.
The rebellion poses the biggest threat yet to President François Bozize’s 10-year rule. He has offered to form a government of unity and to stand down when his term ends in 2016.
However it is an offer that has been rejected by the rebels.
Fighters encamped within 75 km of the capital accuse Bozize of reneging on a 2007 deal to give jobs and money to former rebels.
Residents in Bangui are said to be leaving the city. The European Union has condemned reports of attacks on civilians and called on the rebels and the government to reach a deal.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
US comedian Bill Cosby ordered to stand trial for sexual assault
Wires > News
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’
- 21:21 CET U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near IS capital
- 21:14 CET Two Colombian journalists missing after Spanish reporter vanishes