01/01/13 17:24 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Extra troops have arrived in Central African Republic to shore up the country’s army after a string of defeats left a Seleka rebel alliance within striking distance of the capital Bangui.
The reinforcements have been provided by Congo as part of a regional peacekeeping force sent by the Economic Community of Central African States.
The rebellion poses the biggest threat yet to President François Bozize’s 10-year rule. He has offered to form a government of unity and to stand down when his term ends in 2016.
However it is an offer that has been rejected by the rebels.
Fighters encamped within 75 km of the capital accuse Bozize of reneging on a 2007 deal to give jobs and money to former rebels.
Residents in Bangui are said to be leaving the city. The European Union has condemned reports of attacks on civilians and called on the rebels and the government to reach a deal.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
US college basketball loses coaching legend: Pat Summitt dies, aged 64
IKEA recalls millions of chests and dressers following link to children’s deaths
France: deadly fire engulfs chemical plant near Lyon
Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Wires > News
- 02:23 CET Brazil Congress investigates lawmaker’s alleged support of torture
- 01:19 CET Dutch PM Rutte wants ‘binding’ assurances over EU’s Ukraine deal
- 01:18 CET As Duterte takes over in Philippines, police killings stir fear
- 00:15 CET Italy, Netherlands propose split U.N. Security Council seat for…
- 00:12 CET Clinton leads Trump by 11 points in U.S. presidential race -…
- 00:09 CET Canada presses China over reports of Hong Kong visa clamp down
- 23:44 CET Exclusive – Trump supporters more likely to view blacks…
- 23:11 CET Women subjected to torture by Mexican police, armed forces – report