Perhaps it was a cure for the excesses of the night before, as some Europeans took traditional dips in cold water to mark New Year’s Day.
In the Netherlands, it was a quick run into the icy North Sea – or a frozen lake if you were not near the coast.
With the temperature unusually mild at around five degrees Celsius, the ‘seals’ club in Berlin have not had to break through any ice this time for their bracing swim on the first day of the year.
“It’s good, it feels good, It’s refreshing, it gives your skin pins and needles, it’s just really fun,” one German swimmer said.
“It’s not humdrum, it keeps you healthy. It gives a good makeover. I heard recently the theory that you get nice, soft skin afterwards and you just don’t get ill anymore. That’s one of the main reasons and because it’s crazy. And crazy things are cool!” Hardy Scholz added grinning.
“After the New Year’s party it’s a good start into the new year,” Almut Hufnagel said.
Watching people jump off the Cavour bridge into the Tiber in Rome has become a major tourist attraction. Perhaps it was the skimpy swimwear drawing the crowds!
It first took place in 1946. Participants plunge 17-metres into the muddy swirling water around noon, with the entire process being closely watched by rescue workers.
“This is the third year that I have come here to watch the New Year’s diving. It’s really, really good. This event will definitely become a part of my memories that will not easily be erased. The New Year’s diving here is a gift to the whole world,” one Rome resident said.
“I’ve been part of the event for 25 years. I think the weather today is good. Although the water is really cold, which is around one or two degrees Celsius, but the water level is suitable,” said 60-year-old Maurizio Palmulli.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia
- 2Putin denies he wants to create a new Iron Curtain
- 3Turkish President sparks row by saying women are not equal to men
- 4Clashes as Hong Kong protesters try to regain lost ground
- 5Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 10[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 11European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Where is the best place in Europe for women? | euronews, world news
- 14Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 15Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 16Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 20euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
Wires > News
- 13:48 CET Suicide bomber kills five in attack on British embassy car in…
- 13:46 CET Prince William to make first UK royal visit to China in 30 years
- 13:17 CET Israel says foiled Hamas plans for Jerusalem attacks
- 13:12 CET Iran Supreme Leader says not opposed to extension of nuclear talks
- 13:04 CET Hong Kong student leaders banned from Mong Kok protest site
- 12:47 CET Ten dead in disputed Kashmir’s worst militant attack in more than…
- 12:39 CET Putin, Poroshenko speak on phone about southeast Ukraine – Kremlin
- 12:36 CET Rajoy denies Spain is corrupt after minister resigns in graft case