Perhaps it was a cure for the excesses of the night before, as some Europeans took traditional dips in cold water to mark New Year’s Day.
In the Netherlands, it was a quick run into the icy North Sea – or a frozen lake if you were not near the coast.
With the temperature unusually mild at around five degrees Celsius, the ‘seals’ club in Berlin have not had to break through any ice this time for their bracing swim on the first day of the year.
“It’s good, it feels good, It’s refreshing, it gives your skin pins and needles, it’s just really fun,” one German swimmer said.
“It’s not humdrum, it keeps you healthy. It gives a good makeover. I heard recently the theory that you get nice, soft skin afterwards and you just don’t get ill anymore. That’s one of the main reasons and because it’s crazy. And crazy things are cool!” Hardy Scholz added grinning.
“After the New Year’s party it’s a good start into the new year,” Almut Hufnagel said.
Watching people jump off the Cavour bridge into the Tiber in Rome has become a major tourist attraction. Perhaps it was the skimpy swimwear drawing the crowds!
It first took place in 1946. Participants plunge 17-metres into the muddy swirling water around noon, with the entire process being closely watched by rescue workers.
“This is the third year that I have come here to watch the New Year’s diving. It’s really, really good. This event will definitely become a part of my memories that will not easily be erased. The New Year’s diving here is a gift to the whole world,” one Rome resident said.
“I’ve been part of the event for 25 years. I think the weather today is good. Although the water is really cold, which is around one or two degrees Celsius, but the water level is suitable,” said 60-year-old Maurizio Palmulli.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Young American sentenced to six-years hard labour in North Korea
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 7New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 83D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 9Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 10Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 11Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 01:58 CET Exclusive – Iran seeks give and take on Islamic State militants…
- 00:31 CET Kerry, Iran counterpart discuss nuclear talks, Islamic State
- 00:27 CET World leaders to gather at U.N. in shadow of Islamic State, Ebola…
- 22:29 CET Houthi rebels sign deal with Yemen parties to form new government
- 20:55 CET Forty migrants missing after raft sinks near Libya – Italy coast…
- 20:46 CET U.S. military struggles to preserve options in Islamic State fight
- 20:13 CET Islamic State closes in on Syrian town, refugees flood into Turkey
- 15:51 CET Iran prosecutor gives government 30 days to block social media