An unverified amateur video has been posted on a social network site reportedly showing elite government troops attacking rebels in a bid to take control of Daraya, a strategic suburb of Damascus. Five people including a child were killed from rocket fire say opposition activists.
There were similar scenes in northern Idlib in the town of Maaret al-Numan. One report suggests Syrian rebels in the Aleppo region have been forced to make their own weapons with one member quoted as saying, “no one’s giving us any support”.
The refugee problem has not eased as thousands pour across the borders of Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey and Iraq. It’s estimated over half a million have fled the 21-month-old conflict which has claimed the lives of around 45,000.
On the diplomatic front Syria’s government has said it welcomes any initiative for talks to end bloodshed. The comments from Prime Minister Wael al-Halaqi come after UN-Arab League envoy Lakhdar Brahimi said he had a peace plan acceptable to all sides.
Latest world news
Kenya burns huge ivory stockpile calling for ban on trade
Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Iraq: al-Sadr supporters storm Baghdad Green Zone and parliament
Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Wires > News
- 21:45 CET Canada eager to consider investing in new Montreal rail network -…
- 20:58 CET Blacklisted oil tanker returns to Libya’s Zawiya port
- 20:11 CET Saudi hands over Houthi prisoners as Yemen peace efforts inch…
- 19:49 CET Obama takes final bow at star-studded Washington dinner
- 19:46 CET Aleppo bombed as Syrian army begins ‘calm’ plan elsewhere
- 19:18 CET Egypt puts on trial 237 activists for protests against Sisi -…
- 19:05 CET Germany’s Merkel under attack at anti-immigration rally marred by…
- 17:36 CET Serbian opposition rallies in Belgrade demanding election recount