An unverified amateur video has been posted on a social network site reportedly showing elite government troops attacking rebels in a bid to take control of Daraya, a strategic suburb of Damascus. Five people including a child were killed from rocket fire say opposition activists.
There were similar scenes in northern Idlib in the town of Maaret al-Numan. One report suggests Syrian rebels in the Aleppo region have been forced to make their own weapons with one member quoted as saying, “no one’s giving us any support”.
The refugee problem has not eased as thousands pour across the borders of Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey and Iraq. It’s estimated over half a million have fled the 21-month-old conflict which has claimed the lives of around 45,000.
On the diplomatic front Syria’s government has said it welcomes any initiative for talks to end bloodshed. The comments from Prime Minister Wael al-Halaqi come after UN-Arab League envoy Lakhdar Brahimi said he had a peace plan acceptable to all sides.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 3[Live] Ukraine: Lavrov announces agreement on roadmap to de-escalate situation
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Expectations are low as ministers gather for Ukraine crisis talks in Geneva
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 17:29 CET Iraqi Kurds entrench political faultline with Syria border ditch
- 17:11 CET Saudi activist sentenced to 15 years in jail for protests: lawyer
- 16:52 CET Burundi orders U.N. security adviser out after violence warning
- 16:49 CET Runaway spy Snowden is surprise guest on Putin phone-in
- 16:33 CET Exclusive – Syria submits more ‘detailed’ list of chemical weapons
- 16:24 CET Tunisian diplomat kidnapped in Libyan capital
- 16:05 CET Divers struggle in search for South Korean ferry survivors
- 15:56 CET Iran cuts sensitive nuclear stockpile, key plant delayed – IAEA