A false hope for peace – a warm welcome greeted the African Union’s special envoy when he arrived in the Central African Republic, but within hours his call for a political settlement was rejected by rebels.
After holding talks on Sunday persuading President Francois Bozize to agree to form a unity government, the rebels immediately dismissed the offer and demanded he step down. They said it was a matter of trust.
The rebels have seized several towns as they advance on the capital Bangui. Government troops have now been forced to pull back to Damara.
The conflict began a month ago with a rebel alliance accusing Bozize of failing to honour a 2007 peace deal under which fighters who laid down their arms were meant to be paid.
Regional African leaders who are anxious to restore stability have just sent in more troops to top up a 500 strong peacekeeping force already in the country.
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 13:54 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, U.N. agency over refugees‘…
- 13:52 CET Unions reject French government amendments to labour law reform
- 13:50 CET Belgium transfers Paris attacks suspect to France
- 13:44 CET China issues rare rebuke in police brutality case
- 13:27 CET France’s Sarkozy overtakes rival Juppe in poll, eyes party…
- 13:21 CET Istanbul bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz nationals – Turkish…
- 12:37 CET Vietnam court sentences Australian woman, 73, to death on heroin…
- 12:15 CET Palestinian kills teen in Israeli settlement, then shot dead – army