A false hope for peace – a warm welcome greeted the African Union’s special envoy when he arrived in the Central African Republic, but within hours his call for a political settlement was rejected by rebels.
After holding talks on Sunday persuading President Francois Bozize to agree to form a unity government, the rebels immediately dismissed the offer and demanded he step down. They said it was a matter of trust.
The rebels have seized several towns as they advance on the capital Bangui. Government troops have now been forced to pull back to Damara.
The conflict began a month ago with a rebel alliance accusing Bozize of failing to honour a 2007 peace deal under which fighters who laid down their arms were meant to be paid.
Regional African leaders who are anxious to restore stability have just sent in more troops to top up a 500 strong peacekeeping force already in the country.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
Latest world news
Fatal rebel rocket attack on government hospital in Aleppo says Syrian state TV
Spain arrests four men allegedly behind on-line Islamist Radicalisation plot
Probe indicates falsified documents in Flamanville nuclear plant construction
Turkey to abolish visas for Greek Cypriots
Australia vows no change in asylum policy after Somali woman sets herself on fire
Wires > News
- 12:22 CET China to investigate hospital dying student found on search engine
- 12:15 CET Rebel rockets hit Aleppo hospital, dozens of casualties – Syrian…
- 12:08 CET Czechs to hike healthcare salaries to stop doctors from leaving…
- 11:59 CET Spanish King calls national election for June 26
- 11:52 CET U.S. service member killed in Iraq – U.S. defence chief
- 11:48 CET France’s Hollande sends labour bill to parliament in face of…
- 11:38 CET Australian government delivers sombre election budget for…
- 11:13 CET China slashes influential Communist Youth League’s budget