A false hope for peace – a warm welcome greeted the African Union’s special envoy when he arrived in the Central African Republic, but within hours his call for a political settlement was rejected by rebels.
After holding talks on Sunday persuading President Francois Bozize to agree to form a unity government, the rebels immediately dismissed the offer and demanded he step down. They said it was a matter of trust.
The rebels have seized several towns as they advance on the capital Bangui. Government troops have now been forced to pull back to Damara.
The conflict began a month ago with a rebel alliance accusing Bozize of failing to honour a 2007 peace deal under which fighters who laid down their arms were meant to be paid.
Regional African leaders who are anxious to restore stability have just sent in more troops to top up a 500 strong peacekeeping force already in the country.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 5Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 6Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 7British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 8Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 9Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 10Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 17International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 18Giant hail stones rain down on Italian city of Florence | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 05:50 CET Mexico feds to replace 13 local police forces suspected of crime…
- 05:33 CET Indonesia’s Joko Widodo sworn in as president
- 05:32 CET Setback for Japan PM as trade minister quits, media say another to…
- 05:17 CET Famed US-born translator and Chinese citizen, dies aged 98
- 04:18 CET Australia set to help China seize assets of corrupt Chinese…
- 22:58 CET Six die in heavy rains, mud slides in southwestern Mexico
- 22:07 CET Gunmen free hundreds of prisoners in east Congo
- 20:49 CET Trial of prominent Bahraini activist starts in Manama