Saint Basil’s Cathedral, Red Square was the traditional setting for Moscow’s celebrations as the Russian capital welcomed in the new year.
Firework displays around the world have lighted up the skies enthralling millions of revellers.
Dubai in the United Arab Emirates aimed to break a world record with a display of the highest fireworks. They enveloped the Borj Khalifa Tower in sync with a live performance from the Prague Philharmonic Orchestra.
In keeping with the grand scale of things, Hong Kong’s display was its biggest and most expensive yet, with thousands turning out to watch.
But while fireworks were the norm Tokyo
reverberated to the sound of the city’s Watch-Night Bell. All over Japan bells are struck 108 times in temples to symbolise the beginning of a prosperous new year.
The simultaneous celebrations followed one of the most impressive – Sydney, Australia was among the first to welcome in 2013. The city used its iconic Harbour Bridge as a backdrop for a staggering 100,000 firework patterns.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 16:29 CET Iran says plane at airport leased to Ghana after U.S.-flagged…
- 16:16 CET Magnitude 7.8 earthquake hits off Papua New Guinea
- 15:39 CET Kidnapped French journalists found on Turkey’s Syrian border
- 15:36 CET In Damascus, Christians briefly ignore war for Easter
- 14:41 CET Two killed in Bahrain car explosion – Interior Ministry
- 14:10 CET Death toll climbs to at least 13 in worst tragedy on Everest
- 14:02 CET Japan expands army footprint for first time in 40 years, risks…
- 11:28 CET Egyptian leftist politician submits bid to run for president