Prominent leader of the Other Russia opposition movement Eduard Limonov was arrested during protests in Moscow on Monday.
It’s understood around seventy more were detained in the city’s Triumph square. They are part of the Strategy 31 group and demonstrate on the last day of every month to draw attention to article 31 of the Russia constitution which guarantees freedom of assembly.
Those who were detained were released and could now face fines. The arrests happened on the day of President Putin’s New Year address.
“Only together can we, the people of Russia, move forward with confidence, stand up to any ordeals, solve the most difficult of tasks, and build a strong, successful country and a modern, prosperous and free community,” he said.
Strategy 31 activists say the government restricts their right to free assembly by requiring organisers to get permission which is frequently denied. The group is separate from the opposition protests which followed Putin’s party win in December 2011.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 4Fresh Israeli shelling hits UN school injuring scores of children
- 5#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 02:42 CET Sudanese woman who had faced execution for conversion arrives in…
- 02:07 CET For wandering tankers with $300 million of Kurdish crude, end-game…
- 00:47 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 00:15 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 15, injures 243 – local media
- 00:01 CET Iraqi Kurds, battling Islamist threat, press Washington for arms
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…