Prominent leader of the Other Russia opposition movement Eduard Limonov was arrested during protests in Moscow on Monday.
It’s understood around seventy more were detained in the city’s Triumph square. They are part of the Strategy 31 group and demonstrate on the last day of every month to draw attention to article 31 of the Russia constitution which guarantees freedom of assembly.
Those who were detained were released and could now face fines. The arrests happened on the day of President Putin’s New Year address.
“Only together can we, the people of Russia, move forward with confidence, stand up to any ordeals, solve the most difficult of tasks, and build a strong, successful country and a modern, prosperous and free community,” he said.
Strategy 31 activists say the government restricts their right to free assembly by requiring organisers to get permission which is frequently denied. The group is separate from the opposition protests which followed Putin’s party win in December 2011.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 3South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 4Russia: Politician’s extraordinary tirade at pregnant journalist
- 5Ukraine offers devolution as pro-Russian separatists vow to continue protests
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
Wires > News
- 00:28 CET Iran says it watered down, converted over 200 kg of enriched…
- 00:21 CET U.N. peace envoy criticizes Israeli Easter security in Jerusalem
- 22:34 CET Sudanese militants kill two, kidnap three at oil field
- 22:31 CET Pope presides at Vatican Mass leading Catholics into Easter
- 22:15 CET Iran slams U.S. justice verdict on Manhattan skyscraper
- 21:21 CET Two killed by bomb inside Bahrain car – ministry
- 21:16 CET High stakes as restive Benghazi votes in Libyan local polls
- 20:49 CET Man under evaluation for alleged gun threat at L.A. Times building