US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton is in hospital being treated for a blood clot, linked to concussion from a fall earlier this month.
The 65-year-old has been out of the spotlight since mid-December after she fainted and banged her head while recovering from a stomach virus.
Mrs Clinton is being given anti-coagulants in a hospital in New York.
Officials say her condition is improving and have played down suggestions that it is anything more serious.
The clot was discovered by doctors monitoring her health following the fall. She is expected to be in hospital for the next 48 hours.
She had been due back at her desk next Monday.
Latest world news
Lisbon is a no-go, taxis on a go-slow
The United Nations appeals to save the truce and negotiations in Syria
Brexit campaign is told to focus on immigration
Iran votes in second round of parliamentary elections
Syria: Aleppo hit again as death toll from earlier hospital attack ‘rises to 50’
Wires > News
- 21:30 CET China denies Hong Kong visit request by U.S. carrier group -…
- 21:14 CET Iran moderates eye more gains in run-off parliamentary election
- 20:47 CET Russian jet fighter did barrel roll over U.S. reconnaissance plane…
- 20:14 CET Lavrov, Kerry discuss ways to strengthen Syria ceasefire – Russian…
- 20:10 CET U.N. says in principle open to helping in Iran-U.S. assets dispute
- 20:09 CET Islamic State-linked hackers post target list of New Yorkers -…
- 19:47 CET Buenos Aires nightclubs ordered closed by judge after drug deaths
- 19:46 CET Oil rig helicopter crashes off Norwegian coast, 13 presumed dead