New Year celebrations have started with the traditional bang as the city of Auckland in New Zealand held the first spectacular event of 2013.
In Sydney, Australian superstar Kylie Minogue led the countdown.
Tons of fireworks and millions of spectators are expected to mark the coming of 2013 in capitals and major cities around the world.
Sydney’s revellers were treated to a show centred on the city’s iconic Harbour Bridge as the sky line light up.
With Hong Kong’s display expected to be the biggest ever in the city, most of the buoyant economies of the Asia-Pacific are prepared to party with enthusiasm despite the economic problems besetting the US and Europe.
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2Eurogroup ministers to discuss new Greece aid proposal
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 5Miss Universe turns ugly for Trump as US TV network cut ties with presidential candidate
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 6Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 7Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 8NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 19Greek banks, stock exchange will not open on Monday, Tsipras announces
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 23:19 CET Taiwan youth to China – Treat us like a country
- 22:42 CET Islamic State threatens to topple Hamas in Gaza
- 21:34 CET Legislation enacting Irish gay marriage vote delayed
- 21:15 CET Around 1,200 escape from Yemen prison, including al Qaeda suspects
- 21:07 CET Fearing euro exit, thousands of Greeks rally for ‘Yes’ vote
- 20:50 CET U.S., Iran presidents issue warnings as nuclear talks extended
- 20:47 CET Romania’s opposition wins spy agency vote as Ponta government…
- 19:35 CET Three killed in car bomb in suburb west of Cairo – sources