New York prosecutors say a woman charged with murdering a man who was pushed in front of a subway train told them she did so in revenge for the 9/11 attacks.
Erika Menendez, who is 31, is accused of second-degree murder as a hate crime.
Security film shows someone running from the scene shortly after the attack in Queens.
The victim, 46-year-old Sunando Sen originally came from India. The woman reportedly said she hated Hindus and Muslims.
It is the second such fatal attack in the city this month. A 30-year-old man was charged with murder after a man was pushed in front of a train in early December.
Police say there is no evidence the two attacks were related.
The authorities argue little can be done safety-wise beyond warning people to stay away from the tracks on platforms.
Murders in New York overall have dropped dramatically this year.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Putin says he could take Kyiv in a fortnight
- 2Video: Ebola patient escapes medical centre in Liberia, spreads panic in Monrovia
- 3Europe under pressure to take military action in Ukraine
- 4No candidates are likely to thwart Erdogan, says polling analyst
- 5NATO: ‘Ready to deploy forces’ in response to all security challenges
- 1NATO: ‘Ready to deploy forces’ in response to all security challenges
- 2Ukraine troops quit Luhansk airport, accusing Russia of turning tide of war
- 3Ukrainian troops lose ground against rebel advances
- 4Europe under pressure to take military action in Ukraine
- 5Putin says he could take Kyiv in a fortnight
- 1Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank
- 2Russia hits back at Canada after sarcastic jibe over Ukraine crisis
- 3Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 4NATO: ‘Ready to deploy forces’ in response to all security challenges
- 5Footage released of 9-year-old on firing range moments before she accidently kills instructor
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 4Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 5China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 6Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 7Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 8Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 9Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 10Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 11Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 12EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 13Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 14Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 15Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 16Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 17Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 18Germany breaks political taboo by arming Kurds against Islamists in Iraq | euronews, world news
- 19EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 20Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
Wires > News
- 07:15 CET Japan PM Abe appoints China-friendly lawmakers to key posts
- 05:43 CET Crew of doomed South Korea ferry drank beer while awaiting rescue…
- 05:24 CET Fukushima workers sue Tepco over unpaid wages, reliance on…
- 02:46 CET Despite dangers, U.S. journalist Sotloff was determined to record…
- 23:33 CET U.S. strikes Somali militant camp in bid to kill al Shabaab leader
- 22:57 CET Canada, China quietly hold top-level meeting on strained ties
- 21:34 CET British envoy visits Libya to back elected parliament against…
- 21:30 CET Dutchman praised for MH17 crash handling in race for top EU job