Preliminary findings by investigators looking into what caused a Russian airliner to slide off a runway and crash onto an adjacent road, point to pilot error.
Although the Tupolev jet was not carrying any passengers, four of the eight crew on board were killed in the incident at Vnukovo airport outside Moscow.
Chief of Aviation Transport Alexander Neradko said:
“The plane touched down within the landing zone, but for some reason was unable to stop within it. It then careered at high speed and crashed into a radar beacon which it destroyed and then kept on going….”
Amateur footage showed the plane split into three pieces with the wings torn from the fuselage.
Rescue services were quickly on the scene but passers-by also tried to help survivors who were badly injured.
amateur footage on Youtube
The Tupolev-204 which in this case was operated by the airline Red Wings, is a modern Russian passenger jet with a good safety record.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 2Scientists baffled by two new holes discovered in Siberia
- 3Russia defiant in face of tough EU-US sanctions
- 4#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 5Gaza: Deaths at Jebalya school after Israeli strike
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
Wires > News
- 23:13 CET Taiwan gas blast kills 15, injures 243 – local media
- 23:11 CET Game of thrones- Afghan leadership vacuum raises summit questions
- 20:00 CET Ukraine premier stays on, envoys agree on crash site route
- 19:56 CET Sierra Leone declares emergency as Ebola death toll hits 729
- 19:29 CET Russia’s top general says Moscow committed to nuclear missile…
- 19:26 CET Kenya charges 9 foreigners over 377-kg heroin haul
- 19:13 CET Azerbaijan detains rights activist accused of espionage
- 19:08 CET Iraqi Shi’ite militias use hit lists to pick off foes – police