Preliminary findings by investigators looking into what caused a Russian airliner to slide off a runway and crash onto an adjacent road, point to pilot error.
Although the Tupolev jet was not carrying any passengers, four of the eight crew on board were killed in the incident at Vnukovo airport outside Moscow.
Chief of Aviation Transport Alexander Neradko said:
“The plane touched down within the landing zone, but for some reason was unable to stop within it. It then careered at high speed and crashed into a radar beacon which it destroyed and then kept on going….”
Amateur footage showed the plane split into three pieces with the wings torn from the fuselage.
Rescue services were quickly on the scene but passers-by also tried to help survivors who were badly injured.
amateur footage on Youtube
The Tupolev-204 which in this case was operated by the airline Red Wings, is a modern Russian passenger jet with a good safety record.
- 1Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 2Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4Saakashvili warns of Odessa region’s importance to Ukraine
- 5Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 16Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 17Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 18Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Wires > News
- 19:42 CET Chicago’s Fourth of July rituals – fireworks, gun deaths
- 19:32 CET 800 million still hungry and poor despite progress of millennium…
- 19:20 CET Bulgaria eyes Poland fighter deal to cut dependence on Russia
- 19:04 CET Insight – Iranian nuclear deal set to make hardline Revolutionary…
- 18:52 CET Cash urged for schools in crisis zones as refugee numbers surge
- 18:49 CET Zimbabwe’s Mugabe moves ‘devil incarnate’ information minister in…
- 18:40 CET Inside the Saudi prison that’s home to new wave of jihadis
- 17:40 CET Armenian protesters call for evening rally after police remove…