Preliminary findings by investigators looking into what caused a Russian airliner to slide off a runway and crash onto an adjacent road, point to pilot error.
Although the Tupolev jet was not carrying any passengers, four of the eight crew on board were killed in the incident at Vnukovo airport outside Moscow.
Chief of Aviation Transport Alexander Neradko said:
“The plane touched down within the landing zone, but for some reason was unable to stop within it. It then careered at high speed and crashed into a radar beacon which it destroyed and then kept on going….”
Amateur footage showed the plane split into three pieces with the wings torn from the fuselage.
Rescue services were quickly on the scene but passers-by also tried to help survivors who were badly injured.
amateur footage on Youtube
The Tupolev-204 which in this case was operated by the airline Red Wings, is a modern Russian passenger jet with a good safety record.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 5Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 6It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 9Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 10Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 11How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 12Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 16International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18International news | euronews, latest international news
- 19Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 20eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
Wires > News
- 16:29 CET Philippine rebels kill most wanted Islamist militant in south
- 15:43 CET German prosecutors launch investigation of spying charges
- 15:31 CET Madagascar leader says ends house arrest of ex-president
- 14:52 CET Kerry in Kenya to offer help against militants – officials
- 13:19 CET Gunmen kidnap seven Pakistani police in Punjab attack
- 12:55 CET Saudi-led alliance hits airbase in Yemen’s Sanaa – residents
- 12:50 CET Austria wants refugee quota for each EU member to help absorb…
- 11:11 CET Former deputy’s graft sentence casts shadow on Iran’s Ahmadinejad