Preliminary findings by investigators looking into what caused a Russian airliner to slide off a runway and crash onto an adjacent road, point to pilot error.
Although the Tupolev jet was not carrying any passengers, four of the eight crew on board were killed in the incident at Vnukovo airport outside Moscow.
Chief of Aviation Transport Alexander Neradko said:
“The plane touched down within the landing zone, but for some reason was unable to stop within it. It then careered at high speed and crashed into a radar beacon which it destroyed and then kept on going….”
Amateur footage showed the plane split into three pieces with the wings torn from the fuselage.
Rescue services were quickly on the scene but passers-by also tried to help survivors who were badly injured.
amateur footage on Youtube
The Tupolev-204 which in this case was operated by the airline Red Wings, is a modern Russian passenger jet with a good safety record.
- 1Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin | euronews, world news
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 3euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 4Nepal: ‘equally big earthquakes coming in eastern regions,’ expert tells euronews | euronews, world news
- 5It’s a girl: Britain’s Duchess of Cambridge gives birth in London | euronews, world news
- 6How Nepal earthquake devastated Kathmandu’s UNESCO heritage | euronews, world news
- 7Chernobyl Children: what makes Ukrainians born in 1986 different? | euronews, world news
- 8International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 9Exclusive: unrest in FYR Macedonia could hit other Balkan countries warns Serbian PM | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Andrea Ferrari: the graphene guru | euronews, science
- 12Juncker to Hungarian PM Orban: “Hello, Dictator!”
- 13Portuguese language reform law goes global | euronews, world news
- 14EU membership remains Serbia’s priority, says PM Aleksandar Vucic | euronews, the global conversation
- 15Watch: France’s Jean-Marie Le Pen clashes with UKIP MEP Woolfe | euronews, world news
- 16Spain: the viral soldiers fighting in Madrid and Barcelona mayoral races | euronews, world news
- 17How young translators are helping knit European culture together | euronews, generation y
- 18Evidence of ancient wine found in Georgia a vintage quaffed some 6,000 years BC
- 19eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 20We will not be moved! China’s urban spread resistance [PHOTOS]
Wires > News
- 04:06 CET Saudi clerics urge calm as village hit by Islamic State seethes
- 03:40 CET French public back military intervention in Syria – poll
- 02:12 CET Polish presidential race too close to call, spells trouble for…
- 21:19 CET Russia to adopt tough position if Ukraine defaults – Medvedev
- 21:00 CET Israel thanks U.S. for stand on Mideast nuclear arms ban at U.N.
- 20:58 CET Irish voters back gay marriage in ‘social revolution’
- 20:37 CET As tensions ease, Cyprus leaders enjoy coffee and cake in capital
- 20:32 CET Former rebels, devout cheer as murdered archbishop beatified in El…