Preliminary findings by investigators looking into what caused a Russian airliner to slide off a runway and crash onto an adjacent road, point to pilot error.
Although the Tupolev jet was not carrying any passengers, four of the eight crew on board were killed in the incident at Vnukovo airport outside Moscow.
Chief of Aviation Transport Alexander Neradko said:
“The plane touched down within the landing zone, but for some reason was unable to stop within it. It then careered at high speed and crashed into a radar beacon which it destroyed and then kept on going….”
Amateur footage showed the plane split into three pieces with the wings torn from the fuselage.
Rescue services were quickly on the scene but passers-by also tried to help survivors who were badly injured.
amateur footage on Youtube
The Tupolev-204 which in this case was operated by the airline Red Wings, is a modern Russian passenger jet with a good safety record.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1International investigators reach MH17 crash site in Ukraine
- 2Ukrainian prime minister’s triumphant speech after resignation rejected
- 3Edward Snowden: after one year in Russia, what now for the NSA whistleblower?
- 4Deadly attack on Ukraine troops near Malaysia Airlines crash site
- 5Rosetta the comet hunter arrives at its target
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Arseniy Yatsenyuk
- 3Caught on camera – children drugged and beaten in Romanian kindergarten
- 4Ukraine: ‘Disappointment’ at Yatsenyuk resignation
- 5Fears over spread of Ebola as more tragedies emerge
Wires > News
- 17:26 CET Ugandan court overturns anti-gay law that halted Western aid
- 17:19 CET Jailed Indian tycoon gets office to negotiate hotel sales
- 15:29 CET Somali lawmaker killed in Mogadishu, fifth since April
- 15:13 CET Myanmar military releases 91 child soldiers
- 14:52 CET India’s Congress slams book challenging party chief Sonia Gandhi
- 14:49 CET Exclusive: China’s Xi likely to promote army general who exposed…
- 13:36 CET Court rejects request to arrest Kremlin critic Navalny
- 12:51 CET Pakistan widows, ‘second’ wives flee fighting but are denied aid