30/12/12 05:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Preliminary findings by investigators looking into what caused a Russian airliner to slide off a runway and crash onto an adjacent road, point to pilot error.
Although the Tupolev jet was not carrying any passengers, four of the eight crew on board were killed in the incident at Vnukovo airport outside Moscow.
Chief of Aviation Transport Alexander Neradko said:
“The plane touched down within the landing zone, but for some reason was unable to stop within it. It then careered at high speed and crashed into a radar beacon which it destroyed and then kept on going….”
Amateur footage showed the plane split into three pieces with the wings torn from the fuselage.
Rescue services were quickly on the scene but passers-by also tried to help survivors who were badly injured.
amateur footage on Youtube
The Tupolev-204 which in this case was operated by the airline Red Wings, is a modern Russian passenger jet with a good safety record.
- 1Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3Russia-Hungary meeting ahead of EU sanctions decision
- 4Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
- 5French nuclear workers vote to join strike against labour laws
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
G7 leaders visit Japanese holy shrine ahead of summit
Migrant rescue from capsized boat is caught on camera
Paris attacks survivor slams Eagles of Death Metal frontman for Muslim conspiracy comments
Iraqi units advance on ISIL-held Fallujah
Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
Wires > News
- 08:04 CET South Korea’s Park facing last chance to push through reforms…
- 07:59 CET Italian marine Girone can head home – India’s top court
- 07:38 CET Australian police arrest man over alleged terror plot
- 06:52 CET Philippines’ Duterte apologises for captive Canadian’s beheading…
- 06:44 CET Japan’s Abe takes G7 leaders to shrine as economy tops summit…
- 06:13 CET China says EU membership UK’s choice, but hopes for strong Europe
- 05:31 CET China says its people will never stand for Taiwan independence
- 03:56 CET Australia immigration policy threatens to hijack election agenda