Egypt is taking urgent action to avoid a currency crisis and prevent a messy devaluation.
After appealing to people to go easy on exchanging the local pound for US dollars, the central bank is holding auctions to control currency movements.
It says foreign reserves have fallen to a “minimum and critical level”. Figures show they have plunged to 15 billion dollars (11.34 billion euros), covering only three months of imports.
The pound has weakened significantly recently and the credit worthiness of Egypt and its banks has been lowered.
The prime minister now says he expects a resumption of talks in January on an IMF loan that was delayed amid political and social turmoil.
Egyptians are being called upon to ration their foreign currency use and support national industries.
President Mursi has appealed for unity and a focus on rebuilding the country.
His critics argue he is divisive and the newly-approved constitution restricts basic freedoms.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Why World Elephant Day matters
- 7Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16International news | euronews, latest international news
- 17Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 18As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > Business
- 00:50 CET HSBC Argentina makes proposal to cenbank amid tax evasion probe
- 23:49 CET Pimco Total Return assets drop below $100 billion, first time…
- 23:35 CET Twitter announces global expansion of self-service ads platform
- 23:32 CET Lannett to buy UCB’s U.S. speciality generic drugs unit for $1.23…
- 22:52 CET Barclays sells Portugal assets to Spain’s Bankinter for 175…
- 22:04 CET Boeing delivers 14 Dreamliners, strong cash flow seen – sources
- 21:48 CET Spielberg’s DreamWorks to split from Disney – Hollywood Reporter
- 20:11 CET Reebok heads back to the gym with new German marketing blitz