The death toll has risen to five following Saturday’s crash at Moscow’s Vnukovo Airport.
The Tupolev-204, operated by low-cost Russian carrier Red Wings, was carrying 8 people – all crew.
The accident happened when the plane skidded off the runway as it tried to land.
Russian Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has, in the past, blamed poor air safety on the large number of domestic carriers.
Some people are fed up, like Moscow resident Olga who blamed the crash on a general fall in quality and standards in Russia.
“It happens very often, too often. I think that everything is going down in our country, everything is going down, including the aircraft industry,” she said, standing next to the flowers left by the crash site.
Medvedev has ordered a special investigation into the accident and authorities say they are looking into weather conditions, human error and a possible technical fault.
A Tupolev-204 overshot the runway last week at Novosibirsk Airport in Siberia.
There have been problems with this models reverse mechanism, needed to stop the plane when it lands, however none of the incidents has been fatal.
Early speculation in the Russian press has pointed to possible brake failure, however authorities say the recovered black boxes will have to be studied before any conclusions can be made.
Saturday’s crash saw the plane split into three pieces, with the wings torn from the fuselage. Parts of the wreckage caught fire and other parts ended up on the Kiev highway.
amateur footage on Youtube
Rescue services were quickly on the scene but passersby also tried to help survivors who were badly injured. Two of the wounded are described as being in a critical condition.
Russia’s poor air safety record may come under the spotlight more as the country prepares to host the Winter Olympics in 2014 and football’s World Cup in 2018.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 19[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 20:57 CET U.S. voices concern over India action against Ford Foundation…
- 20:55 CET Devastating Nepal quake kills over 1,300, some in Everest avalanche
- 20:22 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…
- 20:18 CET Germany says will deny entry to some Russian Night Wolves bikers
- 19:24 CET Ukraine and pro-Russian separatists trade accusations as Minsk…
- 19:01 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 18:37 CET U.S., allies conduct 15 air strikes in Syria, Iraq – military
- 18:00 CET Biggest Serb party in Bosnia threatens 2018 secession