UN and Arab League envoy for Syria Lakhdar Brahimi has warned of the dire consequences of failure to find a political solution to end the violence.
Brahimi is in Moscow, following a visit by Egypt’s Foreign Minister Mohamed Kamel Amr the day before.
Syria’s opposition coalition has rebuffed Russia’s offer to hold talks, angering Russia’s Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov.
His recent comments hint that Moscow may be resigned to Syria’s President Bashar al-Assad losing power, but Lavrov does not foresee the president bowing out gracefully.
“In regard to Bashar al-Assad, he has repeatedly, in public, in private and at his recent meetings with Lakhdar Brahimi in Damascus, stated that he is not going to leave, that he will remain in the office until the very end,” said Lavrov.
Brahimi painted a stark picture of how bad the situation in Syria could become.
“If you have a panic in Damascus and you have one million people leaving Damascus in a panic – they can go only to two places: Lebanon and Jordan. Neither Lebanon, nor Jordan can support, without breaking up completely, 500,000 refugees.
“The only alternative is really hell or a political process,” Brahimi added.
Despite diplomatic efforts, the violence continues.
Unverified video uploaded to the internet purports to show the aftermath of a military air attack in a suburb of Damascus on Friday.
The rebel Free Syrian Army has announced a new offensive in Maaret al Numan, part of Idlib province, in the north west of the country.
More than 44,000 people have died in the 21-month conflict.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 4Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 12How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 13Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 14Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 15Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 16euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 17Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 18US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 19euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 20Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 16:06 CET Man arrested near Canada’s prime minister in sign of tensions
- 15:29 CET U.S., allies stage 15 air strikes on Islamic State in Iraq, Syria…
- 14:56 CET China vows better rule of law, but no word of disgraced security…
- 14:40 CET Exclusive – Charred tanks in Ukraine point to Russian involvement
- 14:35 CET U.N. rights watchdog calls for open elections in Hong Kong
- 14:02 CET Ukrainian PM warns Russia may try to disrupt Sunday’s election
- 13:55 CET Syrian Kurds sign power-sharing deal to draw more support
- 13:24 CET EU leaders seek climate deal, but divided over costs