A group of Spanish mothers has decided to bare all to save their school bus line.
The action for a calendar is aimed at raising some 43,000 euros after regional authorities in Montserrat, near Valencia, decided to restrict local pick-ups as part of a cost-cutting exercise.
The problem is, the mothers’ say, that now they and their children have a six kilometre walk over unpaved roads to get to class.
“The rule relates to straight line routes but those can’t be applied here as the straight line route from our village has a mountain in the middle and a massive quarry, so it’s impossible to do,” said one of the pupil’s mothers at Evaristo Calatayud school.
Stripping off has proved to be an effective fund-raiser for good causes in the past, so the mothers’ have high hopes their New Year calendar will soon see them and their kids back on public transport.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
US comedian Bill Cosby ordered to stand trial for sexual assault
Wires > News
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’
- 21:21 CET U.S.-backed Syrian alliance launches new attack near IS capital
- 21:14 CET Two Colombian journalists missing after Spanish reporter vanishes