Bad news for austerity-stricken Greeks is also proving to be bad news for the environment – specifically the air quality in Athens.
Wood has soared in popularity, with many of the city’s residents using it to heat their houses, after an increase in duty has seen the price of heating oil double in two years.
The government says the price hike is to stop motorists putting it in their car, instead of more expensive diesel.
Now business is booming at the lumber yards, but that does not mean extortionate prices according to George Mihas who owns one in the north of Athens.
“In my neighbourhood, we were three or four shops. Now we’ve become twenty. Our customers have spread out to all the shops. You try to sell as cheaply as you can to your customers so you don’t lose them,” he said.
More wood being burnt and geographical position of Athens – a basin surrounded by four large mountains – is causing more smog and more potentially harmful particles in the air.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 9Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Energy-generating clothes and smart lights join the Internet of Things | euronews, hi-tech
- 20Fighting Boko Haram: Chad aims to ‘destroy’ militant group | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:04 CET Desperate Nepalese sleep in open as aftershocks spread fear
- 23:26 CET U.S. Secretary of State Kerry to meet with Iran foreign minister…
- 22:00 CET Israeli air strike kills four planting bomb at Syria frontier -…
- 20:59 CET Togo election peaceful, with turnout low, observers say
- 20:32 CET U.S., allies conduct air strikes in Syria, Iraq – U.S. military
- 19:51 CET Benin president denies third term bid as vote proceeds
- 19:25 CET U.S. mulls ransom policy for families of overseas hostages – ABC TV
- 19:19 CET Leftist Akinci wins north Cyprus election, seeking peace deal