Bad news for austerity-stricken Greeks is also proving to be bad news for the environment – specifically the air quality in Athens.
Wood has soared in popularity, with many of the city’s residents using it to heat their houses, after an increase in duty has seen the price of heating oil double in two years.
The government says the price hike is to stop motorists putting it in their car, instead of more expensive diesel.
Now business is booming at the lumber yards, but that does not mean extortionate prices according to George Mihas who owns one in the north of Athens.
“In my neighbourhood, we were three or four shops. Now we’ve become twenty. Our customers have spread out to all the shops. You try to sell as cheaply as you can to your customers so you don’t lose them,” he said.
More wood being burnt and geographical position of Athens – a basin surrounded by four large mountains – is causing more smog and more potentially harmful particles in the air.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 147 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 2TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4Fighter jets ‘shot down’ over Ukraine
- 5Costa Concordia finally clear of Giglio, destined for dismemberment
- 1298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 2[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 3Researchers reach mysterious giant crater in Siberia
- 447 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
- 5Ukraine: Black boxes recovered from downed Malaysian airliner
Wires > News
- 19:13 CET Tourist killed in Mombasa, second in July – police
- 19:07 CET At least 15 die in Israeli shelling of Gaza school as toll exceeds…
- 19:06 CET French warplanes search Mali desert for crashed Air Algerie plane
- 18:30 CET Bomb hidden in fridge kills one, wounds eight in bus park in…
- 18:14 CET U.N. chief says arbitrary denial of aid a tactic of war in Syria
- 17:57 CET Insight – Purge of minorities re-draws Iraq map
- 16:43 CET EU targets state-owned Russia banks in sanctions plan
- 16:18 CET Iraq parliament elects senior Kurdish politician president