Italians have been reacting to Mario Monti’s announcement that he will join the race in February’s elections.
The outgoing prime minister said on Friday that he is ready to lead a centrist coalition.
It puts him in a three-way contest with the centre-left Democratic Party – and on the right, Silvio Berlusconi’s People of Freedom party.
Monti says he plans to re-draw the political landscape.
“The traditional left-right split has historic and symbolic value – and real meaning in terms of the distribution of income and wealth – but it does not highlight the real alliance that Italy needs: one that focuses on Europe and reforms to transform our country, using Europe as a lever and placing Italy in a position to influence the course of things in Europe,” he said.
Opinion polls suggest the centre-left Democrats of Pier Luigi Bersani are on course to win a lower house majority but may have to strike a deal with centrists in the Senate.
The news that Monti intends to stay around has been welcomed by some. “I am really pleased because I think he is a very serious person who has renewed the image of Italy around the world and so I am very happy. I will vote for him,” said one woman in Rome.
But others are opposed. “He should have just stepped aside. His job is done, it was a technical government and that’s it,” said one man.
As senator for life, Monti does not have to stand for election. He has been credited with restoring Italy’s credibility, but attacked by Berlusconi for “Germano-centric” policies.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 4What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Plane debris to be sent to France to investigate possible links to MH370
Russia ‘involved’ in Litvinenko death says Scotland Yard
Belgian dairy farmers block roads in more price protests
Northern California ‘Rocky Fire’ blazes out of control
Wires > News
- 22:06 CET Indian Ocean debris almost certainly from Boeing 777 – Malaysia
- 21:26 CET Scioli maintains lead in Argentina presidential race – poll
- 21:22 CET Canadian pastor detained in North Korea makes TV confession -…
- 21:20 CET Venezuela troops occupy Polar food distribution warehouses
- 20:40 CET U.S. agency probes possible legal violation in lion killing -…
- 20:38 CET Greece’s Tsipras challenges party bailout critics to showdown
- 20:36 CET Russia modernising S-300 missile system for Iran – RIA, citing…
- 20:18 CET Religious assailant attacks Jerusalem Gay Pride parade, wounding…