A 23-year-old woman, beaten and gang raped on a bus in India two weeks ago, has died of her injuries in Singapore where she had been flown for treatment.
The attack on the medical student in New Delhi has caused an outcry at home, prompting violent protests.
A team of specialists had been treating the patient but her condition deteriorated and she died with her family and Indian officials at her side.
The Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said he was deeply saddened, adding that it was up to all Indians to ensure that her death would not have been in vain.
As the news spread, police in the Indian capital sealed off parts of the city anticipating more protests, and appealed for calm.
Metro stations were closed and vehicles banned from the city centre as young activists gathered.
The woman’s ordeal has galvanised Indians to demand better protection for women from sexual violence.
“I want to assure her family that we all are with her, with their family,” said one demonstrator. “The government should stop politicising the environment and do something concrete about it.”
India’s Junior Interior Minister, Ratanjit Pratap Narain Singh, said:
“The government will work overtime, to try and bring about laws and steps that will ensure that no other person and no other citizen of this country has to go through or undergoes the same kind of trauma.”
The woman who died was with her boyfriend when she attacked and thrown off the New Delhi bus.
Amid the calls for better policing and harsher punishment for rapists, the government has promised action to speed up sexual assault trials and improve women’s safety.
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2One of five suspects charged after Melbourne anti-terror raids
- 3Exclusive: choose between co-operation and confrontation, Iran’s Foreign Minister warns
- 4Foreigners flee xenophobic attacks in South Africa
- 5International lenders raise pressure on Greece as cash crunch looms
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 6French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 7Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 8Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 9Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 14ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 15Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 16Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:58 CET U.S., allies focus on Iraq in latest air strikes -task force…
- 15:51 CET Sudan’s youth activists battle restraints and apathy
- 15:50 CET Spain’s latest political upstart rides high on message of…
- 15:41 CET Sudan’s Bashir heads to Indonesia in rare long-distance trip
- 15:30 CET Thousands of Yemeni troops pledge backing for exiled leader
- 15:16 CET Khamenei says Iran nuclear weapons are a U.S. ‘myth’
- 15:02 CET France seeks to resolve Russian Mistral ‘crisis’ – Hollande
- 14:48 CET India’s enigmatic Gandhi fires up opposition at farmers rally