A 23-year-old woman, beaten and gang raped on a bus in India two weeks ago, has died of her injuries in Singapore where she had been flown for treatment.
The attack on the medical student in New Delhi has caused an outcry at home, prompting violent protests.
A team of specialists had been treating the patient but her condition deteriorated and she died with her family and Indian officials at her side.
The Prime Minister Manmohan Singh said he was deeply saddened, adding that it was up to all Indians to ensure that her death would not have been in vain.
As the news spread, police in the Indian capital sealed off parts of the city anticipating more protests, and appealed for calm.
Metro stations were closed and vehicles banned from the city centre as young activists gathered.
The woman’s ordeal has galvanised Indians to demand better protection for women from sexual violence.
“I want to assure her family that we all are with her, with their family,” said one demonstrator. “The government should stop politicising the environment and do something concrete about it.”
India’s Junior Interior Minister, Ratanjit Pratap Narain Singh, said:
“The government will work overtime, to try and bring about laws and steps that will ensure that no other person and no other citizen of this country has to go through or undergoes the same kind of trauma.”
The woman who died was with her boyfriend when she attacked and thrown off the New Delhi bus.
Amid the calls for better policing and harsher punishment for rapists, the government has promised action to speed up sexual assault trials and improve women’s safety.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel
- 2Syrian fighter jet shot down by Israel over the Golan Heights
- 3Israeli PM defends shooting down of Syrian jet over Golan Heights
- 4Algeria: Frenchman ‘kidnapped by ISIL splinter group’ appears in video
- 5Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech
- 1[As it happened] Still United Kingdom: Scottish voters reject independence
- 2Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin
- 3Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up
- 4France launches initial airstrikes against IS and promises more to come
- 5Air France pilots to continue strike over low-cost plans
- 1Podemos: Spanish indignation in Brussels’ corridors of power | euronews, reporter
- 2Israel announces it will seize 400 acres in West Bank | euronews, world news
- 3Watch: Angry mob throw Ukraine MP into rubbish bin | euronews, world news
- 4Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut | euronews, world news
- 5Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 6Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 7China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 8New car offers freedom for disabled drivers | euronews, hi-tech
- 93D printing: a driving force in design and engineering | euronews, hi-tech
- 10Rise of the machines | euronews, futuris
- 11Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 12Young Yazidi girl escapes Islamic State kidnappers | euronews, world news
- 13Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 14EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president | euronews, world news
- 15The business benefits of EU chemical regulation | euronews, business planet
- 16#Indyref Live: Scotland votes on independence from UK | euronews, world news
- 17Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 18Official ‘executed by flame-thrower’ over links to Kim Jong-un’s purged uncle | euronews, world news
- 19Thousands of Catalans call for choice on split from Spain | euronews, world news
- 20Iceland puts on a show as two of its volcanoes spew out lava | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 22:20 CET Snap polls looming, Greece may opt for unusual president – Deputy…
- 21:54 CET Obama calls for inclusive global climate compact that erases old…
- 21:48 CET Vatican arrests former archbishop on paedophilia charges
- 21:32 CET Exclusive – United States defends Syria airstrikes in letter to…
- 21:29 CET Iraq PM Abadi retires two top generals after Islamic State…
- 20:55 CET Ghana files arbitration suit over border dispute with Ivory Coast
- 19:56 CET Kremlin Internet plans could endanger free speech – watchdog
- 19:11 CET Bin Laden son-in-law sentenced to life in U.S. prison