29/12/12 05:06 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
After weeks of clashes the government of the Central African Republic and rebels have agreed to hold talks.
The move follows an initiative by regional African leaders to try to stabilise the country. Rapid gains by insurgents had raised fears that CAR’s capital Bangui might fall within days.
Officials from regional blocs meeting in neighbouring Gabon have at the same time agreed to send in more troops.
Seleka rebels who have threatened to depose CAR’s President Francois Bozize have have already taken several towns including the diamond rich area near Bria and the town of Bambari.
The current rebellion poses the biggest threat yet to Bozize’s 10 years in power. The rebels accuse the president of failing to honour a 2007 peace deal under which fighters who laid down their arms were meant to be paid.
- 1The EU’s 27 leaders “unite” as they view the future minus the UK
- 2Russia reacts to the Brexit
- 3Black box confirms smoke on board doomed EgyptAir flight
- 4Nicola Sturgeon gets ‘sympathetic’ reception in Brussels over Brexit
- 5Turkey mourns as the first funeral takes place of a victim from the Istanbul airport attack
- 1Dozens are killed and wounded in multiple suicide bomb attacks on Istanbul’s Ataturk airport
- 2Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 3Suspected ISIL bombers kill 36 and wound dozens at Istanbul airport
- 4Terror in Turkey: attack at Ataturk airport leaves 41 dead and scores injured
- 5Feisty Farage tells MEPs ‘You’re not laughing now’
Wires > News
- 13:54 CET Pakistan plans talks with Afghanistan, U.N. agency over refugees‘…
- 13:52 CET Unions reject French government amendments to labour law reform
- 13:50 CET Belgium transfers Paris attacks suspect to France
- 13:44 CET China issues rare rebuke in police brutality case
- 13:27 CET France’s Sarkozy overtakes rival Juppe in poll, eyes party…
- 13:21 CET Istanbul bombers were Russian, Uzbek, Kyrgyz nationals – Turkish…
- 12:37 CET Vietnam court sentences Australian woman, 73, to death on heroin…
- 12:15 CET Palestinian kills teen in Israeli settlement, then shot dead – army