Austrian Hannes Reichelt and home favourite Dominik Paris shared top spot on the alpine skiing world cup podium on Saturday after clocking the same time to jointly win a downhill race in Bormio Italy.
It was the 11th time in the history of the men’s Alpine skiing world cup that there was a dead heat.
On one of the circuit’s most demanding courses – the classic Stelvio piste – Paris thrilled the home fans when he crossed the line in timesheet-topping one minute and 58.62 seconds. But moments later Reichelt bombed down the course and set an identical time to share the top spot on the podium.
It was Reichelt’s sixth career world cup win and the first downhill victory for the Austrian men’s team this season – while it was Paris’s maiden world cup triumph.
With the top four separated by a mere two hundredths of a second it was the closest downhill races in the history.
World Cup leader Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway was third for his sixth top three placing this season. A result that stretched his overall lead over defending champion Marcel Hirscher to 114 points.
Austria’s downhill World Cup champion Klaus Kroell was fourth.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Latest News Bulletin
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > Sport
- 20:09 CET Beaten Man City let in four goals in Stuttgart friendly
- 18:59 CET ‘Shocked’ Rudisha beaten in trials for world championships
- 18:39 CET Nadal eases past Seppi to reach Hamburg final
- 17:42 CET Adam Yates wins Clasica San Sebastian
- 15:50 CET Brazil’s Cunha claims 25km open water title
- 14:15 CET England call up Plunkett and Footitt for fourth test
- 13:42 CET Mourinho eyes early chance to strike blow on Wenger
- 12:44 CET Twente take teenager on loan from Man City