Austrian Hannes Reichelt and home favourite Dominik Paris shared top spot on the alpine skiing world cup podium on Saturday after clocking the same time to jointly win a downhill race in Bormio Italy.
It was the 11th time in the history of the men’s Alpine skiing world cup that there was a dead heat.
On one of the circuit’s most demanding courses – the classic Stelvio piste – Paris thrilled the home fans when he crossed the line in timesheet-topping one minute and 58.62 seconds. But moments later Reichelt bombed down the course and set an identical time to share the top spot on the podium.
It was Reichelt’s sixth career world cup win and the first downhill victory for the Austrian men’s team this season – while it was Paris’s maiden world cup triumph.
With the top four separated by a mere two hundredths of a second it was the closest downhill races in the history.
World Cup leader Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway was third for his sixth top three placing this season. A result that stretched his overall lead over defending champion Marcel Hirscher to 114 points.
Austria’s downhill World Cup champion Klaus Kroell was fourth.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 5McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 8Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 9Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 10Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 11European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 17Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 20Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 09:24 CET Perth go six points clear after City win Melbourne derby
- 09:13 CET No way back for Pietersen despite Cook sacking
- 07:07 CET West Indies add Deonarine to test squad in South Africa
- 06:00 CET Boxing great Muhammad Ali hospitalized with pneumonia
- 04:59 CET Australia call up uncapped Burns for Boxing Day test
- 02:09 CET A defeat is never dignified, says San Lorenzo coach
- 01:25 CET Real Madrid beat San Lorenzo to lift Club World Cup
- 22:56 CET Barca well-placed and with room for improvement, says coach