Austrian Hannes Reichelt and home favourite Dominik Paris shared top spot on the alpine skiing world cup podium on Saturday after clocking the same time to jointly win a downhill race in Bormio Italy.
It was the 11th time in the history of the men’s Alpine skiing world cup that there was a dead heat.
On one of the circuit’s most demanding courses – the classic Stelvio piste – Paris thrilled the home fans when he crossed the line in timesheet-topping one minute and 58.62 seconds. But moments later Reichelt bombed down the course and set an identical time to share the top spot on the podium.
It was Reichelt’s sixth career world cup win and the first downhill victory for the Austrian men’s team this season – while it was Paris’s maiden world cup triumph.
With the top four separated by a mere two hundredths of a second it was the closest downhill races in the history.
World Cup leader Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway was third for his sixth top three placing this season. A result that stretched his overall lead over defending champion Marcel Hirscher to 114 points.
Austria’s downhill World Cup champion Klaus Kroell was fourth.
- 1Champions League: Defending champs Barcelona storm into last 16
- 2Champions League: Real Madrid and PSG set sights on knockout stages
- 3Heightened security to be introduced at upcoming major sporting events
- 4World Cup winner Nonu unveiled at Toulon
- 5Coe under renewed scrutiny over decision to award Eugene 2021 world championships
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Champions League: Real Madrid hold off Shakhtar to win Group A
Embattled IAAF set to meet in Monte Carlo amid doping and corruption scandals
Britain’s Webb wins Antarctic Ice Marathon
Belgium prepare for first Davis Cup final in over a century
Rio Olympics: hockey and badminton venues under the spotlight
Wires > Sport
- 22:59 CET Manchester United draw to squander chance of place in last 16
- 22:58 CET Mandzukic sends Juve into last sixteen
- 22:55 CET Humiliated Blatter says only FIFA Congress can bar him
- 22:51 CET Griezmann fires Atletico into last 16, Galatasaray out
- 22:46 CET Ibrahimovic’s happy homecoming as PSG thrash Malmo
- 22:44 CET Gladbach end Sevilla’s knockout stage hopes with 4-2 win
- 22:31 CET Athletics-Retired Olympic medallist Devetzi fails doping test
- 21:25 CET Man United pay tribute on anniversary of Best’s death