Austrian Hannes Reichelt and home favourite Dominik Paris shared top spot on the alpine skiing world cup podium on Saturday after clocking the same time to jointly win a downhill race in Bormio Italy.
It was the 11th time in the history of the men’s Alpine skiing world cup that there was a dead heat.
On one of the circuit’s most demanding courses – the classic Stelvio piste – Paris thrilled the home fans when he crossed the line in timesheet-topping one minute and 58.62 seconds. But moments later Reichelt bombed down the course and set an identical time to share the top spot on the podium.
It was Reichelt’s sixth career world cup win and the first downhill victory for the Austrian men’s team this season – while it was Paris’s maiden world cup triumph.
With the top four separated by a mere two hundredths of a second it was the closest downhill races in the history.
World Cup leader Aksel Lund Svindal of Norway was third for his sixth top three placing this season. A result that stretched his overall lead over defending champion Marcel Hirscher to 114 points.
Austria’s downhill World Cup champion Klaus Kroell was fourth.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Sweden becomes first EU country to recognise the Palestinian State | euronews, world news
- 3Italy swamped by flash floods | euronews, world news
- 4Back to School for Romania’s new First Lady | euronews, world news
- 5What will you ask US Senator John McCain? | euronews, world news
- 6Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 7Turkish president Erdogan unveils his new palace of a thousand rooms | euronews, world news
- 8India PM Modi appoints Yoga minister | euronews, world news
- 9European e-revolution people rise up | euronews, world news
- 10Vladimir Putin most powerful man in the world – Forbes | euronews, world news
- 11[Live] Rosetta’s Philae lands on comet 67P and enters the history books | euronews, world news
- 12International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 13Irony as organised crime prosecutor arrested for corruption in Romania | euronews, world news
- 14Obama’s ‘risky’ immigration gamble | euronews, world news
- 15Nadia Comaneci: gymnast of perfection and defector | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Putin plans to leave G20 talks early amid Ukraine pressure | euronews, world news
- 17International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 18Transcript of hanged Iranian woman’s final message released | euronews, world news
- 19Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 20Anti-immigration protests in Rome | euronews, world news
Wires > Sport
- 07:57 CET Twickenham bans fans for homophobic abuse of referee
- 23:03 CET Victory sends Marseille marching four points clear
- 21:41 CET Liverpool’s Rodgers joint favourite for the sack
- 20:36 CET I don’t care about FIFA awards, says Mourinho
- 20:02 CET Bayern turnover tops half a billion euros
- 18:55 CET Sainz joins Verstappen at Toro Rosso
- 17:31 CET Domestic abuse linked to football match days – Scottish study
- 17:26 CET Galatasaray fire Prandelli as coach