Four people have died in a plane crash at Moscow’s Vnukovo Airport after the aircraft skidded off the runway as it tried to land.
The Tupolev-204, operated by low-cost Russian carrier Red Wings, was carrying 8 people – all crew. Three of the four people injured are said to be in a critical condition, and two of the four dead are believed to be the pilot and co-pilot.
The plane broke into three pieces and caught fire as it hit the runway hard at around four thirty in the afternoon local time. Part of the wreckage is on the Kiev highway.
The flight arrived from the Czech Republic, but no Czech nationals were on board.
Russia’s Emergency Situations Ministry has confirmed the plane had to make a forced landing, and it crashed on its second attempt.
Russia’s Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has ordered a special investigation into the accident.
Red Wings specialises in charter flights to Russia and Europe. The company is the largest buyer of Russian-made Tupolev-204 aeroplanes.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Spain: NATO plane crash kills 10, injures 21
- 2Ukraine rebels pursue offensive in worst fighting since September
- 3Soaring Swiss franc may leave EU mortgage holders homeless
- 4Alexis Tsipras: Left-wing, anti-austerity and in charge of Greece
- 5Second symbolic gesture and first official visit for Tsipras
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 3‘Russia needs to return Crimea to Ukraine,’ says Kyiv official
- 4Japan outrage at ISIL claims it has executed hostage Haruna Yukawa
- 5US and EU officials condemn deadly rocket attacks in Mariupol
- 1Where do YOU rank on the world’s wealth scale?
- 2Pope Francis says Catholics don’t need to breed ‘like rabbits’
- 3Pupil power shames police in Nairobi as Kenyan school protest goes global
- 4Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 5German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6[LIVE] Second hostage crisis erupts in Paris as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 7Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 12euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 13Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 16France: Angouleme council takes down anti-homeless cages around benches after outcry | euronews, world news
- 17HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 18NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 00:10 CET Top Malian army officer survives assassination attempt in capital…
- 00:08 CET Spielberg – 70 years after Holocaust Jews still face anti-Semitism
- 23:25 CET Peru’s Congress repeals labour reform in blow to weakened Humala
- 22:40 CET Eight French, two Greeks killed in NATO plane crash in Spain
- 22:39 CET Ex-CIA officer convicted in New York Times leak case
- 22:19 CET Corruption protest in Kenya’s Maasai Mara region turns deadly
- 21:15 CET Quartet envoys urge action on humanitarian situation in Gaza
- 20:25 CET Greek leftist Tsipras sworn in as PM to fight bailout terms