Around 2,000 air and ground staff from Spanish flag carrier Iberia protested in Madrid on Thursday over planned job cuts.
Labour unions and the company’s management are currently discussing a five-year restructuring plan which could see some 4,500 jobs axed.
The company, which is Europe’s biggest carrier to Latin America, has been struggling against competition from low cost airlines and high speed trains, as well as high operating costs and the economic crisis in Spain.
Iberia employee Julia Pastor said the cuts will have a wider effect: “What is happening in Iberia is a bit like what is happening in the country, job destruction.”
“Spain is a country that lives because of tourism so Iberia’s problem does not only affect 4,500 workers it could be more, 6,000 or more if we don’t stop them, but a lot of indirect jobs around the airport (will be affected as well),” she added.
The protesters say the cuts benefit the United Kingdom’s British Airways with which Iberia merged in 2011.
Last month IAG, which was formed by the merger, posted a 96 percent fall in nine-month operating profits to just 17 million euros.
This was pulled lower by a 262 million euro operating loss at Iberia, while BA posted a nine-month operating profit of 286 million euros.
The group says it hopes the plan will improve profits by at least 600 million euros in the next three years.
- 1Germanwings: Terrifying transcripts of doomed plane’s ‘last minutes’
- 2Data recorder is key to ending Flight 9525 speculation
- 3Votes counted as polls close in Nigerian election
- 4Canada: Accident involving Airbus A320 hospitalises at least 25
- 5Tunisia: Massive anti-terror march after Bardo Museum massacre
- 1Germanwings crash: search suspended
- 2Prosecutors believe co-pilot deliberately flew Germanwings jet into mountain
- 3‘One day the world will know my name’, Germanwings co-pilot Lubitz ‘declared’
- 4Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say?
- 5Andreas Lubitz: Torn-up sick note for day of crash is found at home of Germanwings co-pilot
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russian rumour mill suggests Putin suffering poor health | euronews, world news
- 3Slovenia becomes 11th EU nation to approve gay marriage | euronews, world news
- 4[LIVE] Germanwings passenger jet crashes in southern France, 148 people on board – authorities | euronews, world news
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 6Indian rapist says women to blame for being sexually assaulted | euronews, world news
- 7International news | euronews, latest international news
- 8French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 9Why is Bulgaria the EU’s most unhappy country? | euronews, world news
- 10Greece’s claim for war reparations from Germany explained | euronews, world news
- 11eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 12Reaching new heights: Parents in India scale walls to ‘help students cheat’ | euronews, world news
- 13Tens of thousands march in Moscow in memory of Boris Nemtsov | euronews, world news
- 14Handwriting and the digital age, time for change in schools? | euronews, learning world
- 15London calling: why home-loving Hungarians are flocking to British capital | euronews, reporter
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 18Manufacturing jihad – Nicolas Hénin explains what he learned about ISIL | euronews, the global conversation
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20Which EU country has the biggest gender pay gap? | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:22 CET Clashes with Taliban halt supply of power in south Afghanistan
- 07:07 CET Republicans see Obama as more imminent threat than Putin -…
- 02:43 CET Major 7.7 quake strikes off Papua New Guinea, tsunami warning…
- 02:36 CET Syria’s Assad says Islamic State has expanded since start of …
- 00:55 CET Air Canada plane landed short, hit antennas in Halifax accident
- 20:24 CET Egypt lists top Brotherhood leader, 17 others as terrorists -…
- 18:32 CET Turkey detains five Dutch people seeking to enter Syria
- 18:19 CET Liberia calls for sexual abstinence to cut Ebola transmission risk