Former Egyptian leader Hosni Mubarak has been transferred from a prison hospital to a military one after falling and fracturing some ribs.
The 84-year-old, who is serving a life sentence, is also suffering from a build-up of fluid in his lungs,
according to the country’s official news agency, MENA.
Mubarak’s lawyers are demanding he remain in the military hospital permanently, in order to have access to better care.
Some people do feel sorry for the former leader, like one man in Cairo’s Tahrir Square who said: “What has happened to Mubarak since he was ousted as president is punishment enough. I hope that God helps him to recover.
“I’m sure he has learned his lesson, especially with the circumstances he lives under in jail,” he added.
However, there are those who are still angry and whose scepticism outweighs any sympathy.
“We don’t believe that Mubarak is really sick. The disaster we lived through because of his policies made us not believe anything about him. We also don’t believe the government now, or what they say about his sickness because there is a lot of hate,” said another man in the capital.
After three decades in power, Mubarak came to court last year on a hospital gurney amid claims his health was deteriorating. He was said to have been in a coma in June.
- 1Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 2Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 3Leaders gather to mark 100th anniversary of Armenia massacre
- 4Friendship and reconciliation replace conflict at Gallipoli centenary
- 5Mixed reaction from rights groups and NGOs to EU migrant plan
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Spain arrests murder suspect on Britain’s most-wanted list
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist | euronews, the global conversation
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 3Chomsky – a rebel with a cause | euronews, world news
- 4Anti-ISIL demonstrations turn violent in Ethiopia | euronews, no comment
- 5The migrants tragedy in the Mediterranean sparks creative satirical response | euronews, world news
- 6Europe is ‘bluffing’ over Greece-Russia relations – analyst | euronews, news
- 7French Alps plane crash treated as suicide and mass murder by co-pilot | euronews, world news
- 8International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 9Woman carries can of water on her head along Paris marathon | euronews, world news
- 10Former IMF chief ‘under investigation for money laundering’ | euronews, world news
- 11Pope Francis washes Rome prisoners’ feet on Holy Thursday | euronews, world news
- 12ECB chief Mario Draghi unhurt after protest during speech | euronews, world news
- 13International news | euronews, latest international news
- 14eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 15Indonesia executes five foreigners despite protest | euronews, world news
- 16French prosecutor: Germanwings co-pilot appears to have crashed plane deliberately | euronews, world news
- 17Portuguese researchers discover the secret of Mind Control | euronews, futuris
- 18International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 19Germanwings press conference mystery: what wasn’t he supposed to say? | euronews, world news
- 20[Live updates] France plane crash: damaged black box ‘can provide information’ | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 06:29 CET Thousands gather at Gallipoli to mark centenary of WW1 battle
- 05:36 CET United States seeks access to Philippine bases as part of Asia…
- 04:47 CET Amended China law curbs tobacco ads in land of smokers
- 02:49 CET Jailed opposition mayor may be granted home arrest in Venezuela
- 01:01 CET Israeli forces shoot and kill Palestinian armed with knives
- 00:36 CET U.N. chief urges Myanmar to address Muslims’ status ahead of vote
- 23:46 CET U.S. pro-Israel lobby opposes push to toughen Iran nuclear bill
- 23:13 CET No decision yet on Mistral, France’s Hollande says