Bilawal Bhutto Zardari is being touted as the face of Pakistan’s future – and one to continue the legacy of his mother, the murdered former prime minister Benazir Bhutto.
The 24-year-old launched his political career on the fifth anniversary of her death. He told tens of thousands of supporters at a rally in the southern Sindh province that he would fight extremism.
His father, the country’s President Asif Ali Zardari, said it was both a sad and joyous day, before outlining his son’s future role.
“I want to tell you, by the grace of God, he (Bilawal) has completed his studies but now this is his training time. He will work with you, he will live among workers, he should learn from here,” he said.
The young Bhutto is co-chairman of Pakistan’s People’s Party but cannot run for president next year as he will still be under 25.
Supporters in Rawalpindi where his mother was killed held a memorial service and demonstration.
“This will be the first time in Pakistan that a democratic government fulfils all its five-year term. No matter who stands for election next year, we hope they can safeguard the democratic system, and fulfil their term of office as well,” said one local man.
Taliban militants were blamed for Benazir Bhutto’s murder but no-one has been charged.
The Bhutto dynasty has been a major political force in Pakistan ever since independence.
Oxford graduate Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, the latest to emerge, is seen as a potential leader in the long term.
- 1Merkel: no talks on new Greece bailout deal until after referendum
- 2Ku Klux Klan set for Confederate flag rally as black church fires probed
- 3UPDATE Egypt: Islamist militants affiliated to ISIL claim deadly Sinai attacks
- 4What is the market price of valour for Greece?
- 5Ukraine stops Russian gas imports after price talks collapse
- 1Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
- 2Eurogroup ministers to discuss new Greece aid proposal
- 3Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 4The end of the road for Uber? Executives detained by French police
- 5Miss Universe turns ugly for Trump as US TV network cut ties with presidential candidate
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 3Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 7Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 8Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 9Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 10Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Romania, Hungary and Bulgaria focus of EU cash fraud probes
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 15Interpol issues ‘red notice’ for accused ex-FIFA bosses
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
Wires > News
- 04:13 CET Working engine on crashed TransAsia plane was shut off – Taiwan…
- 02:24 CET Images show Chinese airstrip on man-made Spratly island nearly…
- 00:50 CET Britain, Russia at odds over U.N. Srebrenica genocide commemoration
- 00:18 CET More than 100 dead as militants, Egyptian army clash in North Sinai
- 23:55 CET Migrant trafficker jailed for 18 years for 2013 shipwreck off Italy
- 23:20 CET Congo Republic leader calls for national dialogue, with term…
- 23:10 CET Fleeing a crisis, Greek migrants flock back to Australia
- 22:27 CET Mexico supreme court judge urges states to legalize gay marriage