Bilawal Bhutto Zardari is being touted as the face of Pakistan’s future – and one to continue the legacy of his mother, the murdered former prime minister Benazir Bhutto.
The 24-year-old launched his political career on the fifth anniversary of her death. He told tens of thousands of supporters at a rally in the southern Sindh province that he would fight extremism.
His father, the country’s President Asif Ali Zardari, said it was both a sad and joyous day, before outlining his son’s future role.
“I want to tell you, by the grace of God, he (Bilawal) has completed his studies but now this is his training time. He will work with you, he will live among workers, he should learn from here,” he said.
The young Bhutto is co-chairman of Pakistan’s People’s Party but cannot run for president next year as he will still be under 25.
Supporters in Rawalpindi where his mother was killed held a memorial service and demonstration.
“This will be the first time in Pakistan that a democratic government fulfils all its five-year term. No matter who stands for election next year, we hope they can safeguard the democratic system, and fulfil their term of office as well,” said one local man.
Taliban militants were blamed for Benazir Bhutto’s murder but no-one has been charged.
The Bhutto dynasty has been a major political force in Pakistan ever since independence.
Oxford graduate Bilawal Bhutto Zardari, the latest to emerge, is seen as a potential leader in the long term.
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Tropical Storm Erika threatens Haiti and Dominican Republic with mud slides
- 3Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
- 4Germany wants camps in Italy, Greece, Turkey to sort through migrants seeking asylum
- 5Suspected people traffickers accused of murder – a first in Italian legal history
- 1‘Dude, I tried to shoot him’: video shows moments after train attack in France
- 2Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 3New York: toplessness in Times Square could change forever
- 4US shootings: suspect dies of gunshot wounds
- 5UK: at least 7 dead, ‘more bodies may be found’ after Shoreham plane crash
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6International news | euronews, latest international news
- 7Why World Elephant Day matters
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 10UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 11Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
- 20Migrant crisis pushing Greek island of Kos to the limit
Latest world news
Syria: Ceasefire breaks down in three strategic towns
Ministers discuss how to protect Europe’s trains from terrorism
Bahrain policeman killed in ‘terrorist’ blast
Venezuela-Colombia tensions rise as Caracas shuts more of border
Budapest vigil for 71 found dead on Austrian motorway
Wires > News
- 11:13 CET Egyptian court sentences Al Jazeera journalists to three years in…
- 10:30 CET Nigeria says uncovers Boko Haram spy ring at Abuja airport
- 10:20 CET Thousands join rally to pile pressure on Malaysia’s PM
- 06:10 CET Pensioner killed in Venezuela supermarket melee, opposition says
- 02:05 CET Libyan drownings, lorry of corpses drive up migrant toll
- 23:59 CET Venezuela’s Maduro to visit China, Vietnam for finance deals
- 23:38 CET U.S. F-22 fighter jets arrive in Germany for training deployment
- 22:06 CET U.S.‘s Biden speaks with Ukrainian President Poroshenko about…