World number four Rafael Nadal will not participate at next month’s Australian Open after being forced to withdraw due to a stomach virus.
The 2009 Aussie Open champion had only just recovered from a knee injury that had sidelined the 26-year-old for six months – since his second round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Nadal said in a statement his knee was much better but the virus has prevented him practicing during the past week and that doctors have advised a week’s rest without any sport.
The Australian Open begins on January 14th in Melbourne.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 02:19 CET Donald closes strongly for third round lead at Heritage
- 00:13 CET Cavani double hands PSG French League Cup trophy
- 23:04 CET Sporting cling to title hopes, reach Champions League
- 21:20 CET Pulis relief as Palace secure safety before title-chasers arrive
- 19:23 CET Americans Furyk and Martin join Choi in Heritage lead
- 19:11 CET Stormers win brings relief as they move off the bottom
- 18:51 CET Djokovic out for ‘some time’ with wrist injury
- 17:07 CET Sharks stay top after grinding out 19-8 win