World number four Rafael Nadal will not participate at next month’s Australian Open after being forced to withdraw due to a stomach virus.
The 2009 Aussie Open champion had only just recovered from a knee injury that had sidelined the 26-year-old for six months – since his second round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Nadal said in a statement his knee was much better but the virus has prevented him practicing during the past week and that doctors have advised a week’s rest without any sport.
The Australian Open begins on January 14th in Melbourne.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Most Istanbul blast victims ‘were German’, says Turkey
- 4Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 7Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 8Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 9Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 11Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 12‘National’ funeral for Celine Dion’s husband ‘over the top’
- 13Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 14Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 16International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 17latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 18Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 19Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 20Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
Wires > Sport
- 17:39 CET Steyn in South Africa squad for World T20
- 16:46 CET Swansea’s Ki fit again after recovery from concussion
- 16:42 CET UEFA regulation forces Palermo coach Schelotto to leave
- 16:23 CET Chelsea’s Willian studied Beckham, Ronaldinho free-kicks
- 16:08 CET Coach Stevens resigns from Hoffenheim over health
- 15:18 CET Sunderland’s Johnson admits one count of sexual activity with child
- 15:06 CET Britain should move pre-Olympic training camp out of Brazil -…
- 14:56 CET Being bright makes Leicester players winners, says Ranieri