World number four Rafael Nadal will not participate at next month’s Australian Open after being forced to withdraw due to a stomach virus.
The 2009 Aussie Open champion had only just recovered from a knee injury that had sidelined the 26-year-old for six months – since his second round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Nadal said in a statement his knee was much better but the virus has prevented him practicing during the past week and that doctors have advised a week’s rest without any sport.
The Australian Open begins on January 14th in Melbourne.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 11:50 CET Cho to head Pyeongchang 2018 organising panel
- 11:05 CET Southampton take Bertrand on loan from Chelsea
- 11:02 CET Dida penalty save not enough for Inter
- 10:58 CET Lukaku lost focus as was not first choice – Mourinho
- 10:26 CET Playtime over as jet-set Carter gets back to work
- 10:09 CET Rodgers ‘pleased’ with Liverpool’s comeback win over City
- 08:55 CET Algeria’s Mbolhi leaves Bulgaria for MLS
- 06:56 CET Shoulder surgery set to sideline All Blacks prop Woodcock