World number four Rafael Nadal will not participate at next month’s Australian Open after being forced to withdraw due to a stomach virus.
The 2009 Aussie Open champion had only just recovered from a knee injury that had sidelined the 26-year-old for six months – since his second round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Nadal said in a statement his knee was much better but the virus has prevented him practicing during the past week and that doctors have advised a week’s rest without any sport.
The Australian Open begins on January 14th in Melbourne.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
Wires > Sport
- 15:49 CET South African gymnasts promise no sister sledging
- 15:21 CET Germany coach Loew to lead team to Euro 2016
- 15:11 CET Tendulkar factor adds to pressure on India’s Sindhu
- 14:50 CET Mourning Dutch postpone discussion on Russia World Cup
- 14:22 CET Sri Lanka ponder keeper change for second test
- 13:35 CET German lawmakers raise doubts about Russia hosting soccer World Cup
- 13:32 CET Lambie hoping to flex bicep again after injury woes
- 12:42 CET Barcelona to sign defender Mathieu from Valencia