World number four Rafael Nadal will not participate at next month’s Australian Open after being forced to withdraw due to a stomach virus.
The 2009 Aussie Open champion had only just recovered from a knee injury that had sidelined the 26-year-old for six months – since his second round defeat at Wimbledon in June.
Nadal said in a statement his knee was much better but the virus has prevented him practicing during the past week and that doctors have advised a week’s rest without any sport.
The Australian Open begins on January 14th in Melbourne.
- 1Business as usual as Blatter joins Putin for World Cup draw
- 2Olympics: New stadium plans to be drawn up for Tokyo 2020
- 3Chapeau Christopher: Froome wins Tour du France
- 4Tour de France: Geschke claims maiden stage win, Froome maintains overall lead
- 5Judge requests new investigation into Jan Ullrich’s drink driving case
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 13Latest News Bulletin
- 14International news | euronews, latest international news
- 15Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 16Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > Sport
- 19:27 CET Boston activist group credited for defeating Olympics pitch
- 18:22 CET Berlin hosting “Jewish Olympics” in stadium Hitler built
- 17:44 CET Crespo joins Villa as Sherwood continues to ring changes
- 16:17 CET Vidal completes $44 million move from Juve to Bayern
- 15:54 CET Ennis-Hill to compete at world championships
- 15:41 CET Filipe Luis rejoins Atletico from Chelsea
- 15:38 CET Special Edgbaston crowd can be our 12th man, says Cook
- 14:44 CET Nevill gets nod ahead of Haddin for third test