Iran has begun six days of naval drills in one of the world’s most important oil trade routes.
The military exercises taking place in the Strait of Hormuz are meant to demonstrate Iran’s capability to defend itself and send a message of peace and friendship to neighbouring countries, according to an Iranian naval commander.
About 40 percent of the world’s oil-tanker trade and 16 million barrels a day go through the Strait of Hormuz, which links the numerous oil producing countries of the Gulf to the outside world.
Tehran has, in the past, threatened to close the Strait when faced with more sanctions from the West over Iran’s controversial nuclear programme.
These threats have also affected the global price of crude oil.
- 1Libya: Rights groups slam death sentence for Gaddafi son
- 2Ukraine poised to bring corruption case against Yanukovych
- 3Supermarket bans sugary drinks “to help cut childhood obesity”
- 4Submarine:Swedish Navy say wreck is not 2014 mystery sub
- 5EU foreign policy chief in Iran for discussions on implementing nuclear deal
- 1Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 2Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 3Turkey appears to attack Kurdish targets in Syria, Turkey denies claim
- 4Saudi King flies into Cote d’Azur amid row over beach closure
- 5Sex, drugs and ‘shocking’ behaviour: Lord Sewel steps down amid allegations of lewd conduct
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9Latest News Bulletin
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15International news | euronews, latest international news
- 16‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 17At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 18Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 19Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Wires > News
- 00:59 CET Romania’s PM Ponta to go on holiday amid criminal probe
- 00:41 CET Iraqi militia leader says U.S. not serious about fighting Islamic…
- 00:34 CET Thousands rally in Finland against lawmaker’s anti-immigration…
- 23:16 CET U.S. to parole convicted Israeli spy Pollard on November 21
- 22:45 CET Iraqi militia leader says U.S. not serious about fighting Islamic…
- 22:15 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 22:05 CET EU’s Mogherini in Iran to discuss nuclear deal, region – TV
- 20:35 CET Ukrainian military pilot faces unfair trial in Russia – lawyers