Iran has begun six days of naval drills in one of the world’s most important oil trade routes.
The military exercises taking place in the Strait of Hormuz are meant to demonstrate Iran’s capability to defend itself and send a message of peace and friendship to neighbouring countries, according to an Iranian naval commander.
About 40 percent of the world’s oil-tanker trade and 16 million barrels a day go through the Strait of Hormuz, which links the numerous oil producing countries of the Gulf to the outside world.
Tehran has, in the past, threatened to close the Strait when faced with more sanctions from the West over Iran’s controversial nuclear programme.
These threats have also affected the global price of crude oil.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Iraq: Baghdad rally held against US ‘occupiers’ | euronews, world news
- 3Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 4Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 5Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 6British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 7Ukraine: Donetsk rebel weapons factory blows up | euronews, world news
- 8Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 9Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 10Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 11How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 12Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 17European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 18Thousands ‘evade’ Ebola lockdown in Sierra Leone | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 21:58 CET Israelis quietly expand enclave in Palestinian district of…
- 21:52 CET Putin offered to divide Ukraine with Poland: Polish ex-minister
- 21:19 CET Iran arrests suspects after acid attacks on women in Isfahan
- 21:09 CET Al Qaeda attacks kill at least 33 people in Yemen
- 21:07 CET U.N. questions Israel on Palestinians’ rights
- 21:05 CET Chile ex-mayor arrested for Pinochet-era human rights crimes
- 20:18 CET U.S. calls ban on entry by six Hungarians a warning to clean up
- 20:15 CET UKIP, 5-Star welcome Polish radical to save EU voting bloc