28/12/12 10:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The former US General Norman Schwarzkopf, who led coalition forces in the first Gulf War, has died aged 78.
Known as Stormin’ Norman, he became a celebrity as much for his straight-talking style as for his military achievements.
Schwarzkopf served in the Vietnam War where he earned three silver stars for valour, a bronze star, a purple heart and three distinguished service medals.
His experience came to the fore with the first war against Iraq.
George Bush senior, US president at the time, said he was “one of the great military leaders of his generation”.
In 1991, an aerial bombardment was followed by a rapid ground campaign that drove Saddam Hussein’s forces out of Kuwait.
The then Iraqi leader had ordered the invasion of the Gulf state the previous year.
Schwarzkopf defended the decision not to oust Saddam from power and was ambivalent about the US-led invasion 12 years later.
The man with the reputation for a fiery temper resisted pressure to enter politics, declaring himself an independent.
He died in retirement in Florida after a long illness.
- 1‘Human error responsible’ for deadly Bad Aibling train crash – sources
- 2Two commuter trains collide head-on in Germany
- 3Leopard enters Indian school, mauls six people
- 4Refugees in Hungary offered classes to speed integration
- 5New migrant tragedy claims 27 lives as Greece grapples with refugee crisis
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International news | euronews, latest international news
- 3Madrid to appeal Catalan road to independence from Spain
- 4Hope vs harsh reality: challenges to global education goals in the 21st century
- 5Partnering to grow Europe
- 6Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 7Turkey: Explosion hits Istanbul’s main tourist district
- 8Thousands in Bucharest blame corruption for Friday’s nightclub blaze
- 9Jorge Lorenzo clinches his third MotoGP title in Valencia
- 10Macedonian Postcards: The Mavrovo National Park
- 11Moldova: protesters storm Parliament
- 12Paris: “I would rather see my brother in prison than in a cemetery”
- 13Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Benzema questioned in French sex tape case
- 15Merroussis clinches the 33rd Athens Authentic Marathon
- 16latest Learning World - All Programmes | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 17Norway sends Syrian refugees back to Russia
- 18Brussels remains on high alert: ‘multiple operations underway’ across Belgium
- 19Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 22:16 CET Consternation at Austrian case of Nazi camp survivors called ‘a…
- 22:01 CET U.N. Security Council members push Russia to stop Aleppo bombing
- 21:58 CET U.S. says political crisis building in Democratic Republic of Congo
- 21:48 CET Republicans Christie, Fiorina dropping White House bids
- 21:23 CET Congo opposition calls for general strike to make Kabila stand down
- 20:24 CET Damascus expects tough but short battle for Aleppo
- 20:12 CET Argentine football team Huracan’s bus overturns in Venezuela…
- 20:05 CET Poland to join fight vs Islamic State in return for NATO help in…