The former US General Norman Schwarzkopf, who led coalition forces in the first Gulf War, has died aged 78.
Known as Stormin’ Norman, he became a celebrity as much for his straight-talking style as for his military achievements.
Schwarzkopf served in the Vietnam War where he earned three silver stars for valour, a bronze star, a purple heart and three distinguished service medals.
His experience came to the fore with the first war against Iraq.
George Bush senior, US president at the time, said he was “one of the great military leaders of his generation”.
In 1991, an aerial bombardment was followed by a rapid ground campaign that drove Saddam Hussein’s forces out of Kuwait.
The then Iraqi leader had ordered the invasion of the Gulf state the previous year.
Schwarzkopf defended the decision not to oust Saddam from power and was ambivalent about the US-led invasion 12 years later.
The man with the reputation for a fiery temper resisted pressure to enter politics, declaring himself an independent.
He died in retirement in Florida after a long illness.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Japan and Jordan join forces to secure release of two of their nationals from the hands of ISIL
- 2Mexico says 43 missing students were definitely murdered
- 3Russia is accused of ‘financing illegal armed groups’ – Council of Europe
- 4A very academic cabinet, Tsipras government sworn-in
- 5Ukrainian rebel attacks on city of Mariupol are condemned by the UN as a war crime
- 1Greek elections: SYRIZA on course to win, but may fall short of majority
- 2German men ‘can use toilet while standing’, judge rules
- 3Captured Ukraine troops forced to face angry crowd after Donetsk bus stop shelling
- 4No word on Japanese hostages after ISIL deadline passes
- 5Thailand: Army urges respect for Yingluck Shinawatra impeachment
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2The power of the pen: Cartoonists worldwide react to the Charlie Hebdo attack | euronews, world news
- 3Immigration, racism in sport and the rise of extremism – Cantona shares his views | euronews, interview
- 4[LIVE] 12 dead after gun attack at French satirical weekly Charlie Hebdo | euronews, world news
- 5[LIVE NOW] Massive unity rally in Paris, with similar marches in other French cities | euronews, world news
- 6Muslim groups fear backlash after terrorist attacks in Paris | euronews, news
- 7[LIVE] Confusion over reports two killed in Paris shootout, as police close in on Charlie Hebdo suspects | euronews, world news
- 8“ISIL is the baby of George W Bush” | euronews, news
- 9Medieval Bruges is to get its own underground beer pipeline | euronews, world news
- 10Almost four million turn out for unity rallies across France | euronews, world news
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13A defiant Charlie Hebdo: it’s not the front page the terrorists would’ve wanted | euronews, world news
- 14Key questions around the Charlie Hebdo killings go unanswered | euronews, world news
- 15Getting to know Sir Tony and “the world’s greatest tenor” | euronews, musica
- 16HarperCollins wipes Israel off the map | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 19Grim task of retrieving bodies after wreckage of missing AirAsia plane found | euronews, world news
- 20Charlie Hebdo: Israeli paper deletes women from Paris march | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 07:11 CET Indian PM fires top diplomat, tightens grip over policy
- 06:59 CET First officer flying AirAsia jet at time of crash – investigators
- 04:48 CET Pentagon official urges NATO to focus on innovative weapons
- 04:47 CET North Korea ‘demanded $10 billion in cash and food’ for summit…
- 04:06 CET Hostage in Sydney siege ‘killed by police bullet ricochet’
- 04:04 CET Laser’s co-inventor, Nobel laureate Charles Townes, dead at 99
- 03:37 CET Greek PM freezes privatisations, markets tumble
- 02:28 CET Exclusive: New Iran U.N. envoy appointee expected to get U.S. visa…