The proposed privatisation of six hospitals and 27 clinics in Madrid has provoked protests, sit-ins and demonstrations by doctors, many of whom have also resigned.
Doctors have now been on strike for a month, and it is estimated that around 40,000 medical tests and 6,000 operations have been carried out late as a result.
Four staff members are also on hunger strike and doctors have broken off negotiations with the authorities. Despite this, the law to privatise the hospitals is expected to be passed later today.
The Spanish healthcare budget has been cut by six billion euros a year and the unions say that patient care is already suffering as a result.
The regional authorities say that these Madrid privatisations will mean saving a further 500 million euros.
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Latest world news
Austria launches probe into alleged postal vote irregularities
Iraq: Progress in fight to oust ISIL from Falluja but ‘civilians face starvation’
France PM Valls hints at tweaks to labour laws as strikes and protests go on
France holds international commemorations to mark the centenary of the Battle of Verdun
French police arrest man on low-level terror watch list
Wires > News
- 21:38 CET U.N. panel rejects press freedom watchdog accreditation request
- 21:37 CET Chile’s students clash with police as protests intensify
- 20:56 CET Protester, police officer killed in Congo election protest – U.N.
- 20:33 CET No Syria talks for 2-3 weeks, U.N. says
- 20:26 CET Italy says migrant boat capsized, second in two days
- 20:01 CET Clashes at French protests, union warns of Euro football disruption
- 19:40 CET Son of Equatorial Guinea leader may face French corruption trial
- 19:21 CET Italian mayor breaks with PM’s party over lack of help for migrants