The proposed privatisation of six hospitals and 27 clinics in Madrid has provoked protests, sit-ins and demonstrations by doctors, many of whom have also resigned.
Doctors have now been on strike for a month, and it is estimated that around 40,000 medical tests and 6,000 operations have been carried out late as a result.
Four staff members are also on hunger strike and doctors have broken off negotiations with the authorities. Despite this, the law to privatise the hospitals is expected to be passed later today.
The Spanish healthcare budget has been cut by six billion euros a year and the unions say that patient care is already suffering as a result.
The regional authorities say that these Madrid privatisations will mean saving a further 500 million euros.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
Beijing to host 2022 Winter Olympics
Venezuela opposition group favourite to win December vote
Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
Families of MH370 victims renew talk of compensation after debris find
Zimbabwe minister calls for extradition of US dentist who killed Cecil the Lion
Wires > News
- 15:14 CET Zimbabwe calls for extradition of Cecil the lion’s killer
- 15:08 CET China, Southeast Asia to set up hotline for South China Sea issues
- 15:01 CET U.S.-led coalition stages 41 air strikes on Islamic State -…
- 14:25 CET Austria admits flaws in handling refugees, pledges action
- 14:22 CET Tunisia extends state of emergency for two more months – presidency
- 14:18 CET Exclusive – Walkout at Taliban leadership meeting raises spectre…
- 13:56 CET Gunmen open fire at Sri Lanka election rally, one dead
- 13:53 CET Suicide bomber kills six, injures 11 in Nigeria market – NEMA