An Italian priest has been urged to resign after posting comments claiming women provoke violence against themselves.
Father Piero Corsi has sparked a wave of protests after sticking this flyer on the door of his San Terenzo church in the northern region of Liguria.
The lengthy text accuses women of ratcheting tensions in family life and inciting sexual attacks.
“The fact is that women are increasingly the cause.. and end up exacerbating tensions by leaving children to themselves, keep dirty houses, put cold dishes on the table, buy fast food and provide filthy clothes,” it reads.
The bulletin also examines sexual violence against women, noting that women and girls often “go around dressed provocatively”.
Explaining his controversial comments Corsi apologised saying: All that’s happened has far exceeded my expectations and certainly my intentions. I need now to take a period of rest to take again my path in a serene way.”
But in a later interview he appeared to backtrack on his mea culpa, accusing the journalist of being gay for refusing to talk about pictures of naked women.
Several women’s rights groups have reacted angrily and called for both the Pope and prime minister to speak out.
Father Corsi says he has no plans to quit but will take some time off work for a period of what he calls rest and reflection.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ceasefire holds in eastern Ukraine except for Mariupol region
- 2Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 3Labeled as ‘Art/Craft’ a stolen Picasso worth millions is found in New York airport
- 4Dutch town cowers in terror over Eagle owl attacks
- 5Riots in Athens as left-wing supporters vent their anger at newly-elected premier
- 1Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 2Ukraine crisis: Ceasefire appears to take hold
- 3New, huge black hole challenges pre-existing theories
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Amnesty report blasts UN, governments for not doing protective duty
- 1Dictating fashion? The strange and unique styles of world leaders
- 2Birdman, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne savour Oscar success
- 3New Gothic 20 euro note revealed
- 4Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 7Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 12New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 13euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 14Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 17Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 18World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 19Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 14:04 CET Mexico captures most wanted drug kingpin, ‘La Tuta’
- 14:03 CET Holder says U.S. malls should ‘step up’ security – CNN
- 13:58 CET Iran, six powers to hold nuclear talks in Switzerland on March 5 -…
- 13:51 CET Germany backs Greek extension but bailout fatigue grows
- 13:49 CET In Turkish heartland, businessmen laud Erdogan’s central bank…
- 13:47 CET Holder says U.S. malls should increase security – CNN
- 13:46 CET Quarter-century after $500 million art heist, Boston mystery…
- 13:44 CET Quarter-century after $500 million art heist, Boston mystery…