An Italian priest has been urged to resign after posting comments claiming women provoke violence against themselves.
Father Piero Corsi has sparked a wave of protests after sticking this flyer on the door of his San Terenzo church in the northern region of Liguria.
The lengthy text accuses women of ratcheting tensions in family life and inciting sexual attacks.
“The fact is that women are increasingly the cause.. and end up exacerbating tensions by leaving children to themselves, keep dirty houses, put cold dishes on the table, buy fast food and provide filthy clothes,” it reads.
The bulletin also examines sexual violence against women, noting that women and girls often “go around dressed provocatively”.
Explaining his controversial comments Corsi apologised saying: All that’s happened has far exceeded my expectations and certainly my intentions. I need now to take a period of rest to take again my path in a serene way.”
But in a later interview he appeared to backtrack on his mea culpa, accusing the journalist of being gay for refusing to talk about pictures of naked women.
Several women’s rights groups have reacted angrily and called for both the Pope and prime minister to speak out.
Father Corsi says he has no plans to quit but will take some time off work for a period of what he calls rest and reflection.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 2Mind-bending vending machine dispenses marijuana
- 3Ukrainian troops begin ‘anti-terror operation’ in eastern city Kramatorsk
- 4Deadly bomb attack in Abuja is blamed on Boko Haram
- 5Divisions widen in Ukraine as Kyiv is urged to rein in pro-Russian separatists
Wires > News
- 12:05 CET Iran expects next payment under nuclear deal, confirming compliance
- 11:41 CET British lawmakers blame complacency for Taliban attack on base
- 11:32 CET China shadow looms large over bid to scrap Tiananmen crackdown…
- 11:29 CET More than 300 people missing after South Korean ferry sinks -…
- 11:17 CET Former Egypt finance minister released hours after arrest in…
- 10:41 CET Gunmen kill nine in western Ethiopia bus attack – state media
- 09:54 CET Passage of South Stream pipeline via Turkey possible – minister
- 05:42 CET China stresses need for stability at first meeting of new security…