An Italian priest has been urged to resign after posting comments claiming women provoke violence against themselves.
Father Piero Corsi has sparked a wave of protests after sticking this flyer on the door of his San Terenzo church in the northern region of Liguria.
The lengthy text accuses women of ratcheting tensions in family life and inciting sexual attacks.
“The fact is that women are increasingly the cause.. and end up exacerbating tensions by leaving children to themselves, keep dirty houses, put cold dishes on the table, buy fast food and provide filthy clothes,” it reads.
The bulletin also examines sexual violence against women, noting that women and girls often “go around dressed provocatively”.
Explaining his controversial comments Corsi apologised saying: All that’s happened has far exceeded my expectations and certainly my intentions. I need now to take a period of rest to take again my path in a serene way.”
But in a later interview he appeared to backtrack on his mea culpa, accusing the journalist of being gay for refusing to talk about pictures of naked women.
Several women’s rights groups have reacted angrily and called for both the Pope and prime minister to speak out.
Father Corsi says he has no plans to quit but will take some time off work for a period of what he calls rest and reflection.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
Women ‘tortured and murdered’ in German ‘House of Horrors’
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Wires > News
- 21:53 CET Proposed Irish government to prioritise spending over tax cuts -…
- 20:56 CET Liberian presidential candidate Weah’s lawyers to go to U.S. over…
- 20:30 CET EU executive to propose reforming asylum system
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq