Mugunga camp houses thousands of displaced people near Goma in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. They have sought refuge here from the ongoing conflict in the country.
Women are especially vulnerable. Here, rape is not just a crime – it is a weapon of war.
“I was working on our farm,” one woman explains, “they came threatening me with their guns, they said ‘if you don’t let us rape you, we will kill you.’ So they forced me down and then raped me and left.”
The UNHCR has set up a special clinic to treat and support the displaced women who are victims of rape in Goma.
Doctors explain that the victims of rape are given what is called a “PEP” kit within 72 hours of the attack to help prevent infection. If there are complications, they are sent on to hospital.
The Congolese government has been battling the M23 rebel group since March when it launched a mutiny. The country has since become what the UN has described as “the rape capital of the world.”
Investigators say at least 126 women were raped around the town of Minova near Goma in November, as government forces retreated from a rebel advance.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 4What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1Migrant killed near Tunnel amid mass attempt to cross channel
- 2Man killed as 1,500 migrants try to enter Channel Tunnel in Calais
- 3Afghan Taliban leader Mullah Omar is confirmed dead
- 4Rome airport fully operational after forest fire affects flights
- 5Turkey keeps up pressure on PKK with more airstrikes
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 10Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Orthodox Jew ‘repeats’ Jerusalem Gay Pride stabbing attack
Belgian dairy farmers block roads in more price protests
Northern California ‘Rocky Fire’ blazes out of control
Russia begins pre-trial hearings for Ukraine ex-pilot Nadiya Savchenko
Syriza faces internal battle as Tsipras requests party vote
Wires > News
- 19:31 CET First aim is to restore Yemeni government in Aden, Sanaa later -…
- 19:25 CET Russia modernising S-300 missile system for Iran – RIA, citing…
- 19:15 CET Canadian pastor detained in North Korea makes TV confession -church
- 19:03 CET Greece’s Tsipras challenges party bailout critics to showdown
- 18:56 CET Religious assailant attacks Jerusalem Gay Pride march, wounding six
- 18:53 CET U.S. agency probes possible legal violation in lion killing -…
- 18:50 CET Syrian group says Nusra abducts its leader, U.S. casts doubt
- 18:27 CET World Medical Association to look into future president after…