Mugunga camp houses thousands of displaced people near Goma in the eastern Democratic Republic of Congo. They have sought refuge here from the ongoing conflict in the country.
Women are especially vulnerable. Here, rape is not just a crime – it is a weapon of war.
“I was working on our farm,” one woman explains, “they came threatening me with their guns, they said ‘if you don’t let us rape you, we will kill you.’ So they forced me down and then raped me and left.”
The UNHCR has set up a special clinic to treat and support the displaced women who are victims of rape in Goma.
Doctors explain that the victims of rape are given what is called a “PEP” kit within 72 hours of the attack to help prevent infection. If there are complications, they are sent on to hospital.
The Congolese government has been battling the M23 rebel group since March when it launched a mutiny. The country has since become what the UN has described as “the rape capital of the world.”
Investigators say at least 126 women were raped around the town of Minova near Goma in November, as government forces retreated from a rebel advance.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Oklahoma supreme court halts executions pending drugs hearing
- 2Ukraine: US releases photos of alleged Russian special forces in the east
- 3Nepalese sherpas threaten strike in wake of Everest avalanche tragedy
- 4Death toll now 87 in South Korea ferry sinking; 215 missing
- 5Miracle stowaway survives five hour jet flight hidden in wheel well
- 1TV newscaster keeps calm as quake hits Mexico
- 2South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 5Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
Wires > News
- 19:55 CET Two policemen, militant killed in Egypt
- 19:30 CET Bahrain says expels representative of Shi’ite Ayatollah Sistani
- 19:09 CET Hamas, Abbas’s PLO announce reconciliation agreement
- 19:01 CET Russia, China block Central African Republic blacklistings at U.N.
- 18:50 CET Catalan leader to call independence vote despite Madrid resistance
- 18:43 CET Syrians’ plight worsens, hope for political deal fades
- 18:34 CET Mine injures peacekeeper as diplomats visit Mali’s Kidal
- 18:04 CET At least 63 killed as speeding Congo train derails – government…