Mursi’s government now faces the tough task of building a broad consensus as it prepares to impose austerity measures.
New restrictions have already been introduced to stop people from withdrawing their savings from banks, but it’s failed to prevent the Egyptian pound from taking a hammering on the markets.
“Every day the index is sliding downwards, this isn’t the first time we’ve seen this,” said broker Abdel Kerim Ek Deki.
Keen to be seen as decisive, the government is now in talks with business figures, trade unions and other broups to highlight the need for tax hikes to solve the crisis. But many fear that won’t be enough to boost tourism, one of Egypt’s biggest industry.
For Cairo resident, Aly Ossman there is no tourism anymore in Egypt: “especially after the revolution and the referendum. And all these things have made the dollar very low in Egypt. We had around, I don’t know, 6 (b) billion (US) dollars (of foreign currency reserve) and now there is nothing. It is decreasing every day.”
Tax increases are unlikely to be implemented until some political harmony is found. President Mursi is due to address parliament’s upper house on Saturday in a speech expected to be dominated by economic policy.
- 1Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 2French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 3Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 4Bobbi Kristina Brown, Whitney Houston’s daughter, dies
- 5Coach has its roof sheared off in low tunnel near Lille
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 6[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Latest News Bulletin
- 11International news | euronews, latest international news
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 19Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 20Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
Latest world news
Channel Tunnel: one dies, COBRA meets in London
Syria: counting the humanitarian cost
USA: Israeli spy Pollard to be released after 30 years in jail
Outrage after Zimbabwe’s Cecil the lion is killed by an American dentist
Ukraine bans French actor Gerard Depardieu over support for Crimea annexation
Wires > News
- 10:57 CET Saudi soldier killed in shooting in eastern district – SPA
- 10:51 CET Poland’s richest man, Jan Kulczyk, dies at 65
- 09:50 CET Fabius, visiting Tehran, invites Rouhani to France
- 09:38 CET Merkel’s Bavarian ally says Grexit would cause ‘utter chaos’
- 09:03 CET Chinese airport closed after arson attack aboard plane
- 08:43 CET More than 2,000 migrants tried to enter Channel Tunnel in France
- 08:11 CET Pakistan police say kill leader of banned sectarian group
- 07:45 CET Malaysian probe into fund scandal stalls after PM sacks deputy