The so called “Delhi bus rape victim” has been flown to Singapore for further treatment at a hospital specialising in organ donations. Her family is with her, and doctors say that the 23-year-olds condition remains critical. She is still on life support, and recovery is likely to take many months. Doctors add she has already undergone three operations and further surgery will be required for the extensive internal damage that was inflicted during the attack.
The female student, who was travelling home with a male friend, was gang raped, attacked with a metal bar, beaten and thrown from a moving bus last week. In India, where public opinion has been outraged by this latest rape attack, violent protests broke out. The authorities have announced new measures including banning buses with tinted windows and curtains.
They have also announced that if convicted the attackers face life terms in jail, but some people are calling for the death sentence. So far, six men have been arrested and two police officers suspended. There is also an ongoing investigation into possible lapses by the authorities.
- 1Simplify MPs expenses to improve transparency, says campaigner
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Venezuela’s second city looted
- 4Berlin and Vienna pressure Rome to take responsibility for migrants
- 5A leading German politician says the country’s mosques should come under state control
Latest world news
Iraq: al Sadr supporters storm Green Zone and parliament
Drastic cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
Germany: hundreds arrested as anti-immigrant AfD congress starts
Rescue teams keep searching after deadly Kenya collapse
Ireland: Minority government deal breaks political deadlock
Wires > News
- 14:55 CET Afghan forces launch push against Taliban
- 14:51 CET Air strikes pound Syrian city of Aleppo, death toll climbs
- 14:42 CET China, Japan more upbeat on ties but challenges remain
- 13:31 CET Cries heard as rescuers search rubble of Nairobi building, at…
- 12:53 CET Left-wing protesters clash with German police before right-wing…
- 12:44 CET Italy merchant ship rescues 26 migrants off Libya, others feared…
- 12:36 CET Russia defends intercept of U.S. reconnaissance plane over Baltic
- 12:23 CET Bomb attack on Shi’ite pilgrims in Baghdad kills at least 19 -…