An aquarium wall has spontaneously shattered in Shanghai in China. CCTV images show the 15-centimetre thick glass exploding outwards, shooting thousands of gallons of water onto the pavement. 16 people were hurt but there were no fatalities.
The accident also caused the collapse of a cosmetics counter inside the shopping mall which housed the aquarium, but the sales assistant was pulled to safety.
Three lemon sharks and dozens of fish and turtles were however killed in the accident. Initial investigations suggest that the glass shattered due to low winter temperatures. The Chinese authorities say that so far there are no plans to replace the aquarium, which had become a popular attraction in the city.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before striken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Spain’s former prime minister, Adolfo Suarez dies, aged 81
- 4A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 5As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 1Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
- 2Ukraine as it happened: Pro-Russian freeze Ukrainian army operation in Kramatorsk
- 3Watch April 15 total lunar eclipse live online
- 4Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 5Russian PM Dmitry Medvedev says Ukraine on ‘brink of civil war’
Wires > News
- 04:50 CET Divers enter capsized South Korean ferry in hunt for survivors
- 04:32 CET Armed mob under guise of peaceful protest attacks U.N. in South…
- 03:01 CET Disapproval of Brazil’s president grows ahead of election
- 01:34 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika camp claims election win, rival alleges fraud
- 01:26 CET Students add Easter twist to dwindling Venezuela protests
- 01:23 CET U.N. inquiry chief wants North Korea hauled before international…
- 01:14 CET Tokyo area hit by magnitude 4.7 earthquake
- 00:34 CET French troops free five aid workers kidnapped in Mali