An aquarium wall has spontaneously shattered in Shanghai in China. CCTV images show the 15-centimetre thick glass exploding outwards, shooting thousands of gallons of water onto the pavement. 16 people were hurt but there were no fatalities.
The accident also caused the collapse of a cosmetics counter inside the shopping mall which housed the aquarium, but the sales assistant was pulled to safety.
Three lemon sharks and dozens of fish and turtles were however killed in the accident. Initial investigations suggest that the glass shattered due to low winter temperatures. The Chinese authorities say that so far there are no plans to replace the aquarium, which had become a popular attraction in the city.
Latest world news
Evacuations increase as wildfire spreads in Alberta, Canada
Six days on, survivors are found in collapsed Kenya building
‘We need everything’, Ecuador quake survivor tells euronews
Air strike kills dozens in Syrian refugee camp
Playing for Palmyra – Russia holds a concert in the ruins
Wires > News
- 05:10 CET Exclusive – Top reason Americans will vote for Trump: ‘To stop…
- 04:06 CET Singapore, Australia to jointly develop military training areas
- 03:57 CET Air strikes hit camp in Syria, U.S. condemns Assad statement
- 02:13 CET Obama, Mexican president discuss immigration, anti-drugs fight -…
- 01:59 CET Philippine fishermen favour strong president to end China’s…
- 00:31 CET Trump says Britain would be better off without EU – Fox News
- 21:30 CET Depression reigns as EU presidents debate future of Europe
- 20:39 CET Ex-Venezuela parliament head sues News Corp over drug article