The shooting dead of two New York state firefighters on Christmas Eve has fuelled the debate on gun ownership in the USA, already reignited after the Sandy Hook massacre.
Three other emergency crew were injured in an apparent ambush by a lone gunman who set fire to his home, according to police. Suspect William Spengler then killed himself.
“He armed himself with three different weapons, and an arsenal of ammunition,” said local police chief Gerald Pickering.
“He armed himself with a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, a Mossberg 12 gauge pump shotgun, and a .223 Bushmaster rifle with a flash suppressor.”
The remains of another person were found in Spengler’s burnt-out home. His older sister is missing.
He had already served a 17 year sentence for killing his grandmother.
In total, seven properties in Webster, in New York state, were destroyed by the fire. Spengler left a note describing his plans.
Pickering said: “I’ll read to you one of the sentences out of the two to three pages of a typed written note that really and clearly (describes) goes to his intent while the note does not (describe) go to motive. ‘I still have to get ready to see how much of the neighbourhood I can burn down, and like doing what I like best, killing people’.”
State congresswoman Louise Slaughter has called for federal laws to curb “out-of-control” gun violence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 2Canada raises its terror threat following attack on soldiers
- 3Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 4Another battle for Ukraine as winter approaches amid gas row
- 5‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 1Maritime drama deepens as Sweden extends ‘mystery submarine’ search
- 2German intelligence report blames pro-Russian rebels for MH17 crash
- 3‘Criminal negligence’ blamed for death of Total boss Christophe de Margerie
- 4Total boss dies in Moscow air crash
- 5Total oil CEO Christophe de Margerie dies in Moscow plane crash; snowplough driver was ‘drunk’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 7Algeria: ISIL offshoot releases video threatening French hostage Hervé Gourdel | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 10International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15euronews speaks to Ban Ki-moon ahead of key UN and climate change talks | euronews, the global conversation
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 20Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
Wires > News
- 01:03 CET EU leaders seek climate deal, but are divided over costs
- 00:43 CET At U.N., China asked to back human rights case against North Korea
- 00:43 CET Canada’s parliament attacked, soldier fatally shot nearby
- 00:36 CET Chinese peacekeepers expected in South Sudan at start of 2015 -…
- 00:12 CET Scion of Pakistan’s Bhutto dynasty throws down gauntlet to PM
- 00:05 CET Palestinian driver rams Jerusalem station killing baby
- 23:24 CET Juncker defends decision on French, British EU commissioners
- 23:17 CET Iraqi Kurds approve sending fighters to aid Syrian town