The shooting dead of two New York state firefighters on Christmas Eve has fuelled the debate on gun ownership in the USA, already reignited after the Sandy Hook massacre.
Three other emergency crew were injured in an apparent ambush by a lone gunman who set fire to his home, according to police. Suspect William Spengler then killed himself.
“He armed himself with three different weapons, and an arsenal of ammunition,” said local police chief Gerald Pickering.
“He armed himself with a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, a Mossberg 12 gauge pump shotgun, and a .223 Bushmaster rifle with a flash suppressor.”
The remains of another person were found in Spengler’s burnt-out home. His older sister is missing.
He had already served a 17 year sentence for killing his grandmother.
In total, seven properties in Webster, in New York state, were destroyed by the fire. Spengler left a note describing his plans.
Pickering said: “I’ll read to you one of the sentences out of the two to three pages of a typed written note that really and clearly (describes) goes to his intent while the note does not (describe) go to motive. ‘I still have to get ready to see how much of the neighbourhood I can burn down, and like doing what I like best, killing people’.”
State congresswoman Louise Slaughter has called for federal laws to curb “out-of-control” gun violence.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 5[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 6Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 7Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 8[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 9Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 10Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 19Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
- 20Hungary: billboard war sparks international concern
Latest world news
15 years on: UN takes stock of Millenium Development Goals
‘No triumphalism’ reminder for Greece’s new finance minister
Greece gets final ‘end of week’ deadline for reforms
South Carolina Senate passes legislation to remove ‘slavery flag’
Swiss test postal drones for future deliveries
Wires > News
- 07:22 CET Taliban, Afghan officials end peace talks agreeing to meet again
- 06:00 CET Two Myanmar men go on trial for murder of British tourists
- 04:27 CET Alaska plane crashed amid ‘marginal’ visual conditions, killing…
- 04:22 CET Obama, Vietnam leader discuss South China Sea in landmark meeting
- 04:09 CET Ghana’s ruling party reclaims parliamentary seat in by-election
- 02:35 CET In Myanmar, ethnic loyalties could crimp Suu Kyi’s party
- 01:14 CET Ex-dictator found mentally unfit for new Guatemala genocide trial
- 00:43 CET Serbia government agrees to send PM to July 11 Srebrenica…