The shooting dead of two New York state firefighters on Christmas Eve has fuelled the debate on gun ownership in the USA, already reignited after the Sandy Hook massacre.
Three other emergency crew were injured in an apparent ambush by a lone gunman who set fire to his home, according to police. Suspect William Spengler then killed himself.
“He armed himself with three different weapons, and an arsenal of ammunition,” said local police chief Gerald Pickering.
“He armed himself with a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, a Mossberg 12 gauge pump shotgun, and a .223 Bushmaster rifle with a flash suppressor.”
The remains of another person were found in Spengler’s burnt-out home. His older sister is missing.
He had already served a 17 year sentence for killing his grandmother.
In total, seven properties in Webster, in New York state, were destroyed by the fire. Spengler left a note describing his plans.
Pickering said: “I’ll read to you one of the sentences out of the two to three pages of a typed written note that really and clearly (describes) goes to his intent while the note does not (describe) go to motive. ‘I still have to get ready to see how much of the neighbourhood I can burn down, and like doing what I like best, killing people’.”
State congresswoman Louise Slaughter has called for federal laws to curb “out-of-control” gun violence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 2Who is the EU’s worst at spending Brussels’ billions?
- 3ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 4New laws to ‘wipe out’ militants after Pakistan school massacre
- 5New Romanian President Klaus Iohannis vows to tackle corruption
- 1Rosetta team is euronews’ people of 2014
- 2Pakistanis protest against Taliban as army intensifies offensive in north-west
- 3‘Allahu Akbar’ lone wolf attacker shot dead by French police
- 4Australia: two hostages and gunman dead after police storm Sydney siege café
- 5ISIL fighters ‘flee’ Iraq’s Sinjar as Peshmerga troops ‘make gains’
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Watch: Passengers ‘push-start’ frozen plane in Siberia | euronews, world news
- 3Le Pen: I admire ‘cool head’ Putin’s resistance to West’s new Cold War | euronews, interview
- 4McCain blasts Europe’s approach to Ukraine conflict ‘a joke’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 5Which countries in Europe cause the most air pollution damage? | euronews, world news
- 6Moldova pro-EU parties take narrow lead in elections | euronews, world news
- 7Grenoble: Europe’s first ad-free city | euronews, world news
- 8NATO joins search for ‘Russian submarine’ off Scottish coast | euronews, world news
- 9European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 10Ukraine reports accident at Zaporizhzhya nuclear power plant | euronews, world news
- 11Crude awakening: Romania’s Black Sea oil and gas finds fuel Europe’s energy hopes | euronews, reporter
- 12The American Century comes to an end as China becomes the world’s largest economy | euronews, economy
- 13International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 14Belgium’s former queen Fabiola dies at 86 | euronews, world news
- 15Germans demand honour for Turkish woman beaten to death | euronews, world news
- 16Chechen ‘death’ unit fighting with rebels in eastern Ukraine | euronews, world news
- 17Portugal: Ex-PM José Socrates held in corruption probe | euronews, world news
- 18Pakistan Taliban ‘kill over 100’ in Peshawar school attack | euronews, world news
- 19Israeli warplanes hit targets in Syria | euronews, world news
- 20Raids across Turkey target media outlets linked to Erdogan foe Fethullah Gulen | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 15:22 CET Russia watchdog blocks web pages calling for Navalny support…
- 14:54 CET U.S. leads 22 more air strikes against Islamic State – task force
- 14:28 CET Pope says Vatican administration is sick with power and greed
- 14:20 CET Five killed as Libyan forces and Islamist fighters clash in…
- 14:05 CET Police fire on Myanmar protesters, one dead, 20 hurt – reports
- 13:59 CET Germany sees no need to ease Russia sanctions despite minister’s…
- 13:54 CET Ukraine threatens to cut off power to rebel-held regions if usage…
- 12:54 CET Dozens of suspected Kenyan separatists charged with police camp…