The shooting dead of two New York state firefighters on Christmas Eve has fuelled the debate on gun ownership in the USA, already reignited after the Sandy Hook massacre.
Three other emergency crew were injured in an apparent ambush by a lone gunman who set fire to his home, according to police. Suspect William Spengler then killed himself.
“He armed himself with three different weapons, and an arsenal of ammunition,” said local police chief Gerald Pickering.
“He armed himself with a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, a Mossberg 12 gauge pump shotgun, and a .223 Bushmaster rifle with a flash suppressor.”
The remains of another person were found in Spengler’s burnt-out home. His older sister is missing.
He had already served a 17 year sentence for killing his grandmother.
In total, seven properties in Webster, in New York state, were destroyed by the fire. Spengler left a note describing his plans.
Pickering said: “I’ll read to you one of the sentences out of the two to three pages of a typed written note that really and clearly (describes) goes to his intent while the note does not (describe) go to motive. ‘I still have to get ready to see how much of the neighbourhood I can burn down, and like doing what I like best, killing people’.”
State congresswoman Louise Slaughter has called for federal laws to curb “out-of-control” gun violence.
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 3The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Kazakh police break up anti-government protests
Latest world news
Eurozone finance ministers and IMF agree a further €10.3bn tranche of bailout funds for Greece.
Kurdish-led militias launch offensive against ISIL-held Raqqa
Paris attacks: victims families seek answers
UN chief Ban voices his disappointment as first World Humanitarian Summit closes
Monsanto rejects Bayer multi-billion dollar bid
Wires > News
- 02:59 CET Japan PM Abe to meet with Obama, Cameron ahead of G7 summit
- 02:51 CET After benefits of cheap oil, India counts cost of reduced Gulf…
- 00:50 CET Pakistan can’t confirm Taliban leader is dead, criticises …
- 23:17 CET Daughter of detained Hong Kong bookseller appeals for U.S. help
- 23:01 CET Brazil’s Temer seeks constitutional change to curb public spending
- 22:19 CET Egyptian appeals court cancels five-year jail terms for 47 over…
- 22:11 CET Thousands of migrants saved in 23 rescue operations off Libya
- 22:07 CET Myanmar poet’s jail term ‘like from the old days’