The shooting dead of two New York state firefighters on Christmas Eve has fuelled the debate on gun ownership in the USA, already reignited after the Sandy Hook massacre.
Three other emergency crew were injured in an apparent ambush by a lone gunman who set fire to his home, according to police. Suspect William Spengler then killed himself.
“He armed himself with three different weapons, and an arsenal of ammunition,” said local police chief Gerald Pickering.
“He armed himself with a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, a Mossberg 12 gauge pump shotgun, and a .223 Bushmaster rifle with a flash suppressor.”
The remains of another person were found in Spengler’s burnt-out home. His older sister is missing.
He had already served a 17 year sentence for killing his grandmother.
In total, seven properties in Webster, in New York state, were destroyed by the fire. Spengler left a note describing his plans.
Pickering said: “I’ll read to you one of the sentences out of the two to three pages of a typed written note that really and clearly (describes) goes to his intent while the note does not (describe) go to motive. ‘I still have to get ready to see how much of the neighbourhood I can burn down, and like doing what I like best, killing people’.”
State congresswoman Louise Slaughter has called for federal laws to curb “out-of-control” gun violence.
- 1Greek PM suggests party referendum to overcome split in Syriza
- 2Russia vetoes UN resolution to try suspects in MH17 crash in Ukraine
- 3What’s gone wrong with Rome?
- 4MH370: wreckage found on island ‘almost certainly’ from Boeing 777
- 5Missing MH370 flight : Plane wreckage washed up on Reunion Island is tested
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 11Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 12International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 13BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 14Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 15‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 16At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 17Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 18Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 19Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 20Tsipras says if Greeks approve the EU’s aid plan, Syriza will resign
Latest world news
Palestinian toddler killed in ‘terrorist’ arson attack, says Israel
Families of MH370 victims renew talk of compensation after debris find
Zimbabwe minister calls for extradition of US dentist who killed Cecil the Lion
At least 20 pilgrims dead after truck crashes into crowd in Mexico
Greenpeace protest halts icebreaker in Oregon
Wires > News
- 11:08 CET Killer of Cecil the lion should be extradited, Zimbabwe says
- 10:45 CET Gunmen open fire at Sri Lanka rally, one dead
- 10:34 CET Syria air strikes hit Nusra after attack on Western-backed rebels…
- 10:17 CET Four Indians detained in Islamic State stronghold in Libya
- 09:45 CET Blast kills at least five in Nigeria market – police, rescue worker
- 09:04 CET Philippines’ Aquino endorses interior minister as successor
- 08:53 CET Return of Thai protest leader raises fears for fragile calm
- 08:38 CET Myanmar president not ruling out second term