The shooting dead of two New York state firefighters on Christmas Eve has fuelled the debate on gun ownership in the USA, already reignited after the Sandy Hook massacre.
Three other emergency crew were injured in an apparent ambush by a lone gunman who set fire to his home, according to police. Suspect William Spengler then killed himself.
“He armed himself with three different weapons, and an arsenal of ammunition,” said local police chief Gerald Pickering.
“He armed himself with a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, a Mossberg 12 gauge pump shotgun, and a .223 Bushmaster rifle with a flash suppressor.”
The remains of another person were found in Spengler’s burnt-out home. His older sister is missing.
He had already served a 17 year sentence for killing his grandmother.
In total, seven properties in Webster, in New York state, were destroyed by the fire. Spengler left a note describing his plans.
Pickering said: “I’ll read to you one of the sentences out of the two to three pages of a typed written note that really and clearly (describes) goes to his intent while the note does not (describe) go to motive. ‘I still have to get ready to see how much of the neighbourhood I can burn down, and like doing what I like best, killing people’.”
State congresswoman Louise Slaughter has called for federal laws to curb “out-of-control” gun violence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies
- 2Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 3Doctor in New York tests positive for Ebola infection
- 4Video footage of Canadian parliament gunman shows final movements
- 5Ukraine PM warns Russia may try to disrupt election
- 1Israel: Hamas praises Jerusalem attack which killed baby girl
- 2Ottawa fatal shooting: Police admit they were ‘caught by surprise’
- 3Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner
- 4Police search for possible suspects following attack on Canada’s parliament
- 5Intruder sparks lockdown at the White House
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Emma Watson threatened with naked photos leak after UN equality speech | euronews, world news
- 14Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 15All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 16US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 17euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 18Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 19Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 20International news | euronews, latest international news
Wires > News
- 14:29 CET Merkel urges Putin to back swift solution to Ukraine gas row
- 14:26 CET Canadian consulate in Istanbul gets package containing yellow…
- 14:25 CET Three major nations absent as China launches World Bank rival in…
- 14:19 CET South Africa police fire rubber bullets at Diamondcorp strikers
- 14:06 CET Masked men burn two Saudi Arabia consulate cars in Egypt: sources
- 13:56 CET Restore EU borders, France’s Le Pen says amid Calais tensions
- 13:46 CET Protesters in Hong Kong to vote on government proposals
- 13:33 CET Tunisia forces kill six after standoff with militants outside Tunis