The shooting dead of two New York state firefighters on Christmas Eve has fuelled the debate on gun ownership in the USA, already reignited after the Sandy Hook massacre.
Three other emergency crew were injured in an apparent ambush by a lone gunman who set fire to his home, according to police. Suspect William Spengler then killed himself.
“He armed himself with three different weapons, and an arsenal of ammunition,” said local police chief Gerald Pickering.
“He armed himself with a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, a Mossberg 12 gauge pump shotgun, and a .223 Bushmaster rifle with a flash suppressor.”
The remains of another person were found in Spengler’s burnt-out home. His older sister is missing.
He had already served a 17 year sentence for killing his grandmother.
In total, seven properties in Webster, in New York state, were destroyed by the fire. Spengler left a note describing his plans.
Pickering said: “I’ll read to you one of the sentences out of the two to three pages of a typed written note that really and clearly (describes) goes to his intent while the note does not (describe) go to motive. ‘I still have to get ready to see how much of the neighbourhood I can burn down, and like doing what I like best, killing people’.”
State congresswoman Louise Slaughter has called for federal laws to curb “out-of-control” gun violence.
- 1Putin adds diplomatic strand to bolster Syrian air strikes
- 2Russian cruise missiles strikes prompt global aviation officials to issue safety alerts
- 3Russia tries to reassure Saudi Arabia over Syria air strikes
- 4Iraqi military claims to have killed several senior ISIL members including leader al – Baghdadi
- 5Belarus election: Lukashenko wins landslide of more than 80 percent – exit polls
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2NASA discovers evidence of “liquid briny water” flowing on Mars
- 3Latest News Bulletin
- 4At least 220 dead in stampede outside Mecca, Saudi Arabia reports
- 5Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees…or are they?
- 6[Live] All the Rugby World Cup news in one place
- 7International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 8Why aren’t rich Gulf states welcoming Syrian refugees… or are they?
- 9International news | euronews, latest international news
- 10Which European countries offer the most social benefits to migrants?
- 11Syrian refugee tripped by shamed camera woman is named
- 12Spain: Catalan President faces ‘civil disobedience’ charges over breakaway vote
- 13Banzai back in the vocabulary as Japan passes law allowing combat deployments
- 14Exclusive: shipwatchers chart Russian hardware heading into Med
- 15Migrant tripped up in Hungary gets Spanish football job
- 16Israel agents ‘incite’ stone-throwing in West Bank
- 17Hungary’s army can shoot rubber bullets and tear gas at refugees
- 18Fifa suspends Blatter, Platini and Valcke
- 19Catalan president Artur Mas charged with organising illegal independence referendum
- 20[Live] Catalonia: separatists heading for clear win in crucial elections
Latest world news
Flight MH17: was shot down by a BUK missile fired from Eastern Ukraine – Dutch report
At least five dead, 20 wounded in “Day of Rage” in Israel
YPG militia alliance set to attack ISIL stronghold Raqqa “within weeks”
Iran’s parliament backs nuclear deal
Japanese tug-of-war over the fate of Okinawa US air base
Wires > News
- 15:21 CET Yemeni port says first ship in weeks arrives, Saudi denies…
- 14:59 CET Cameron to press Saudi Arabia over Briton facing 350 lashes
- 14:55 CET Myanmar may postpone landmark November poll due to floods
- 14:53 CET World must carry out U.N. slavery pledge – Nobel winner Satyarthi
- 14:30 CET In Egypt, elections look set to cement return to the past
- 14:28 CET Italy court probes PM Renzi’s expense claims when Florence mayor
- 14:23 CET EU migrant arrivals 170,000 in Sept – Frontex
- 14:12 CET To negotiate or not? That’s the new Nordic puzzle over populism