The shooting dead of two New York state firefighters on Christmas Eve has fuelled the debate on gun ownership in the USA, already reignited after the Sandy Hook massacre.
Three other emergency crew were injured in an apparent ambush by a lone gunman who set fire to his home, according to police. Suspect William Spengler then killed himself.
“He armed himself with three different weapons, and an arsenal of ammunition,” said local police chief Gerald Pickering.
“He armed himself with a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, a Mossberg 12 gauge pump shotgun, and a .223 Bushmaster rifle with a flash suppressor.”
The remains of another person were found in Spengler’s burnt-out home. His older sister is missing.
He had already served a 17 year sentence for killing his grandmother.
In total, seven properties in Webster, in New York state, were destroyed by the fire. Spengler left a note describing his plans.
Pickering said: “I’ll read to you one of the sentences out of the two to three pages of a typed written note that really and clearly (describes) goes to his intent while the note does not (describe) go to motive. ‘I still have to get ready to see how much of the neighbourhood I can burn down, and like doing what I like best, killing people’.”
State congresswoman Louise Slaughter has called for federal laws to curb “out-of-control” gun violence.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Explosions at Istanbul Ataturk airport ‘kill at least 10, wound 20 people’ – officials
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Wires > News
- 22:16 CET Norway investigators blame Airbus helicopter crash on gearbox…
- 21:46 CET Former Nigerian ministers charged with laundering 4.9 bln naira
- 21:26 CET Russia, United States blame each other for maritime incident
- 21:10 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:36 CET Iraq’s top court invalidates Abadi’s partial cabinet reshuffle
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…