The shooting dead of two New York state firefighters on Christmas Eve has fuelled the debate on gun ownership in the USA, already reignited after the Sandy Hook massacre.
Three other emergency crew were injured in an apparent ambush by a lone gunman who set fire to his home, according to police. Suspect William Spengler then killed himself.
“He armed himself with three different weapons, and an arsenal of ammunition,” said local police chief Gerald Pickering.
“He armed himself with a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, a Mossberg 12 gauge pump shotgun, and a .223 Bushmaster rifle with a flash suppressor.”
The remains of another person were found in Spengler’s burnt-out home. His older sister is missing.
He had already served a 17 year sentence for killing his grandmother.
In total, seven properties in Webster, in New York state, were destroyed by the fire. Spengler left a note describing his plans.
Pickering said: “I’ll read to you one of the sentences out of the two to three pages of a typed written note that really and clearly (describes) goes to his intent while the note does not (describe) go to motive. ‘I still have to get ready to see how much of the neighbourhood I can burn down, and like doing what I like best, killing people’.”
State congresswoman Louise Slaughter has called for federal laws to curb “out-of-control” gun violence.
- 1Failed breach attempt by migrants in Calais
- 2Scuffles at British side of Channel Tunnel in Kent over Calais migrants
- 3Funeral of Whitney Houston’s daughter overshadowed by family feud
- 4Suspected MH370 flaperon arrives for identification at BEA, Toulouse
- 5Turkey: two soldiers killed in suicide attack blamed on PKK
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 9French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11Latest News Bulletin
- 12BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
Latest world news
US-Egypt relations return to ‘stronger base’ says John Kerry
Canada PM Stephen Harper announces October 19 election
Firefighter dies as forest blazes rage across California
British singer and TV star Cilla Black dies in Spain
China looks skywards with construction of huge telescope
Wires > News
- 21:48 CET Saudi Arabian king leaves France after holiday controversy
- 21:21 CET Egypt president signs elections law – official gazette
- 19:49 CET Israel approves jailing Jewish militants without trial to resolve…
- 19:33 CET Plane skids off Indonesian runway, three injured and airport closed
- 19:00 CET Merkel’s German conservatives set sights on absolute majority
- 15:26 CET Two Malian soldiers killed in ambush – military
- 15:15 CET Kerry says United States, Egypt return to ‘stronger base’ in…
- 14:40 CET One pilot killed, another injured after helicopter crash at…