The shooting dead of two New York state firefighters on Christmas Eve has fuelled the debate on gun ownership in the USA, already reignited after the Sandy Hook massacre.
Three other emergency crew were injured in an apparent ambush by a lone gunman who set fire to his home, according to police. Suspect William Spengler then killed himself.
“He armed himself with three different weapons, and an arsenal of ammunition,” said local police chief Gerald Pickering.
“He armed himself with a Smith and Wesson .38 revolver, a Mossberg 12 gauge pump shotgun, and a .223 Bushmaster rifle with a flash suppressor.”
The remains of another person were found in Spengler’s burnt-out home. His older sister is missing.
He had already served a 17 year sentence for killing his grandmother.
In total, seven properties in Webster, in New York state, were destroyed by the fire. Spengler left a note describing his plans.
Pickering said: “I’ll read to you one of the sentences out of the two to three pages of a typed written note that really and clearly (describes) goes to his intent while the note does not (describe) go to motive. ‘I still have to get ready to see how much of the neighbourhood I can burn down, and like doing what I like best, killing people’.”
State congresswoman Louise Slaughter has called for federal laws to curb “out-of-control” gun violence.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1Japan sounds bluefin warning, calls for 50% catch cut
- 2EU leaders name Donald Tusk European Council president
- 3Ukraine: Mariupol digs trenches, prepares to defend city
- 4Russia hits back at Canada after sarcastic jibe over Ukraine crisis
- 5Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 1Russia hits back at Canada after sarcastic jibe over Ukraine crisis
- 2Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’
- 3NATO: satellite images ‘show Russian troops in Ukraine’
- 4Obama backs claims of Russian troops in Ukraine
- 5[As it happened] Newsday: Ukraine – Russia – NATO – Syria – Ebola
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians | euronews, world news
- 2Ellen MacArthur: making waves on a journey to a circular economy | euronews, the global conversation
- 3China executes eight Muslims convicted of terrorism | euronews, world news
- 4Putin T-Shirts flying off the shelves at Moscow megastore | euronews, world news
- 5Everything you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
- 6Hoverbike on the horizon | euronews, hi-tech
- 7Ukraine accuses Russian aid convoy of stealing factory equipment | euronews, world news
- 8Massive Swedish forest fire is declared a national emergency | euronews, world news
- 9Man, 27, fails in suicide bid after tigers reject chance to eat him | euronews, world news
- 10Risk of fresh ash cloud threatens European air travel | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland warns Europe’s airlines of possible volcanic eruption | euronews, world news
- 12Beyond the subconscious | euronews, futuris
- 13Canada sends hilarious barb to Russia over Ukraine ‘incursions’ | euronews, world news
- 14Bardarbunga volcano in Iceland continues to rumble | euronews, world news
- 15Poland wants compensation from the EU for Russian import ban | euronews, world news
- 16EU’s Russia sanctions doing more harm than good says Hungary’s PM Orban | euronews, world news
- 17Greek farmers suffer in economic war between Russia and EU | euronews, economy
- 18Turkey’s women have the last laugh | euronews, world news
- 19Hamas executes 18 suspected collaborators | euronews, world news
- 20Turkish ferry makes high-speed final landing | euronews, no comment
Wires > News
- 01:16 CET Lesotho PM says army staged coup, flees to South Africa
- 01:03 CET Seriously ill boy taken from UK hospital found in Spain – police
- 00:14 CET Islamic State militants behead captive Lebanese soldier – video
- 00:05 CET Philippine peacekeepers rescued from militants on Golan – U.N.
- 23:25 CET Modi seeks Japan’s help for ‘inclusive vision’ on first big trip
- 23:21 CET 22 miners rescued from Nicaragua gold mine after landslide
- 22:59 CET Obama, Harper discuss NATO summit, Iraq in phone call – White House
- 22:00 CET Bahrain detains Shi’ite rights activist on arrival at airport