26/12/12 23:35 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
President Mohamed Mursi has congratulated Egyptians for endorsing a new constitution and urged all parties to join him in a national dialogue.
Anxiety over a deepening political and economic crisis has gripped the country over past weeks but Mursi told parliament that his contested constitution marks a new start.
“l believed in the necessity of this constitution to be a strong charter that will be a reference for us all,” Mursi told parliament. “It is a constitution which makes the president be at the service of the people, a constitution which limits the president’s prerogatives and prevents him from becoming a tyrant,” he added.
Opposition groups have not called for new protests, suggesting that weeks of civil unreast over the constitution may be subsiding not that it has passed.
- 1Istanbul attack: suspects thought to come from former USSR
- 2Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
- 3Putin rejects new arms race and builds bridges with Turkey
- 4Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
- 5UK: who are the Famous Five candidates for PM?
Latest world news
Austria: Constitutional Court rules fresh presidential run-off vote must be held
Firefighting plane lost in Russia
Will Brexit help him? Australian PM calls for stability ahead of tight general election
Istanbul airport attack: the suspects and the victims
Delight for Portugal fans after another nail-biter goes down to wire
Wires > News
- 12:45 CET Austrian presidential election must be re-run, court rules
- 12:44 CET Russia stresses need for joint fight with Turkey against terrorism
- 12:42 CET Two Romanians charged in Hungary for leaving 100 migrants in…
- 12:33 CET French charity official says stabbed by couple shouting ‘Allahu…
- 12:31 CET Iran’s Rouhani accuses West of exploiting Sunni-Shi’ite rift, raps…
- 12:26 CET Turkey’s parliament passes law to restructure judiciary…
- 12:22 CET Turkey says must work with Russia for political solution in Syria
- 12:19 CET Syria’s Assad: Brexit vote shows UK leaders ‘disconnected from…