Indian authorities say a policeman who was wounded during recent clashes in New Delhi has died.
47-year-old Police Constable Subhash Tomar had been deployed at the India Gate monument to help restore order in the centre of the city.
He was one of more than 50 policemen who were injured by an angry mob.
There have been huge protests in the capital in recent days after a young woman was gangraped and thrown from a bus.
The gruesome attack on the 23-year-old student has shocked the nation and highlighted the plight of women in India where sexual and violent crimes are on the rise.
Latest world news
Critics round on Boris Johnson after Gove wields Brexit knife
Italy elected to UN Security Council in 2017 after Dutch deal
Slovakia attacks EU post-Brexit direction on eve of taking over presidency
Istanbul attack: suspects thought to hail from former USSR
U.S. military repeals ban on transgender service members
Wires > News
- 02:16 CET Hopes for democracy crushed in the Chinese rebel village of Wukan
- 01:56 CET U.S. urges leaders of Armenia, Azerbaijan to avoid tensions
- 01:51 CET Woman dies, children hurt in Bahrain bomb blast – police
- 01:44 CET Trump floats idea of using NATO in fight against Islamic State
- 01:32 CET Document spells out FBI rules to get journalists’ phone records -…
- 01:15 CET Lower voting age leaves many wondering ‘Where’s Japan’s Bernie?‘
- 00:53 CET Obama administration calls on private sector to assist refugees
- 23:10 CET U.S., Russia discuss Syria cooperation if Assad halts some strikes