A senior Fatah leader says he has seen no change in Egypt’s policy on Israeli – Palestinian relations during the recent conflict, even though an Islamist government is now in power in Cairo.
Speaking to our correspondent in the Egyptian capital, Azzam al-Ahmad said:
“With regard to the fundamental issues, it is very clear that the Egyptian regime applies its Camp David treaty commitments to the letter and the relationship between Egypt and Israel has never broken down.
“On the contrary, Egypt continues to play the same role as before which is appeasement without being a part of the conflict.
“Until now nothing has changed regarding the PLO’s relationship with Egypt. I think we need to build trust between each other.”
He did say, however, that he expects the Egyptian government to have greater influence in Gaza as they share a political ideology with Hamas.
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Greek debt crisis is “absolute supremacy of capital over humans”
- 3[Live updates] NGO flotilla bids to break Israeli blockade of Gaza
- 4[LIVE UPDATES] Greek debt deadline looms
- 5Large Hadron Collider ready to embark on an unprecedented voyage of discovery
- 6Istanbul Gay pride quashed by riot police, rubber bullets and water cannon
- 7[LIVE UPDATES] France: man decapitated, several wounded in chemical plant attack
- 8Israel prepares to repel boarders as ‘Freedom Flotilla 3’ tries to run Gaza blockade
- 9Greek debt summit – Live updates
- 10Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 11‘Distractingly sexy’ scientists hit back in lab chemistry polemic
- 12Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 13NewsWires : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 14Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails?
- 15Summit up in Brussels as Greek proposals give food for thought and rumours fly
- 16Battle of Waterloo, live-tweeting 200 years on
- 17Greek PM faces day of crucial bailout talks in Brussels
- 18Spain’s first case of diphtheria in 30 years: parents of six-year-old ‘oppose vaccines’
- 19Citizens take power in Spain’s largest cities as a political revolution sweeps the country
- 20Italy discovers biggest illegal waste dump in Europe
Latest world news
One person found dead after boat sinks off Greek coast
Nigeria: 25 killed in suspected Boko Haram suicide blast
Pope Francis calls on people in Latin America to unite
‘Last chance’ meeting for Greece as euro zone creditors gather
Tsakalotos reveals notes but no new proposals at Eurogroup
Wires > News
- 23:35 CET Serbia government agrees to send PM to July 11 Srebrenica…
- 21:26 CET Two suicide bombers kill around 30 in northern Nigeria
- 21:02 CET Obama, Vietnam leader discuss South China Sea in landmark meeting
- 20:47 CET Eritrea sees U.N. scrutiny, migrant exodus as part of ‘conspiracy’
- 19:54 CET Gunmen storm national radio in Central African Republic
- 19:47 CET Homegrown jihadists with Libya ties target Tunisia’s democracy
- 19:22 CET Sierra Leone urged to ban FGM after backing women’s rights treaty
- 19:21 CET ‘Real risk’ of famine in Yemen as death toll passes 3,000