A senior Fatah leader says he has seen no change in Egypt’s policy on Israeli – Palestinian relations during the recent conflict, even though an Islamist government is now in power in Cairo.
Speaking to our correspondent in the Egyptian capital, Azzam al-Ahmad said:
“With regard to the fundamental issues, it is very clear that the Egyptian regime applies its Camp David treaty commitments to the letter and the relationship between Egypt and Israel has never broken down.
“On the contrary, Egypt continues to play the same role as before which is appeasement without being a part of the conflict.
“Until now nothing has changed regarding the PLO’s relationship with Egypt. I think we need to build trust between each other.”
He did say, however, that he expects the Egyptian government to have greater influence in Gaza as they share a political ideology with Hamas.
- 1Nepal: more than 1,800 people killed in powerful earthquake
- 2Russian pro-Putin bikers set off on controversial “Victory Ride” to Berlin
- 3Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 4Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
- 5Indonesia: Seven drug convicts will be executed in days
- 1Chomsky says US is world’s biggest terrorist
- 2Unverified video appears to show ISIL killing of 30 Ethiopian Christians
- 3US Navy deploys two more warships near Yemen as conflict escalates
- 4Ethiopia: Clashes at rally to mourn Christians killed by ISIL in Libya
- 5Fire and brimstone show EU deal is close, Varoufakis tells euronews
Wires > News
- 05:56 CET Nepalese dig with bare hands for quake survivors as toll rises to…
- 05:44 CET Exclusive – “Forced to captain migrant boat at gunpoint”
- 01:30 CET Russian hackers read Obama’s unclassified emails last year – NYT
- 01:23 CET FBI investigating possible Islamic State terrorism plot in U.S. -…
- 00:33 CET Two Swedes abducted by Nusfra Front in Syria freed – TT news agency
- 23:31 CET Israeli forces kill two knife-wielding Palestinians – police
- 21:46 CET Migrant rescue mission must extend closer to Libya – Amnesty…
- 20:57 CET U.S. voices concern over India action against Ford Foundation…