Russia is in the icy grip of its coldest December on record.
In Siberia, to the east, temperatures have plummeted to almost minus -60°C. In Magadan region, dozens of heavy vehicles have been trying unblock around 300km of roads covered by snow. In Tyva region, heating pipes have burst, meaning more than 3,000 people had to be evacuated.
“We’ve got nothing here. We don’t even have water,” said local resident Irina Bryarkina. “It’s good there has been lots of snow so we gather that snow in our garden and melt it. Do you understand we are freezing here? We have subzero temperatures in our flats. I measured the temperature in my room where I have small heaters, it is -2°C there. In the kitchen where I have a stove burning, it is minus -5°C.”
This cold snap has reportedly killed 123 people including seven in the last 24 hours.
Emergency services have organised evacuation points in schools and hospitals.
Aria Dagbaldai, who was sheltering with her family, said: “We’ve spent the second night in this school already. Conditions are good. It is warm here and there is some food.”
Emergency workers are trying to fix burst pipelines to restore heating while local authorities sent a plane with heaters and electric generators.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 17:18 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings
- 17:10 CET Bahraini man dies two months after being shot by police – family
- 17:05 CET Poles most worried about their independence in at least 23 years -…
- 16:35 CET Turkish president rules out role swap with Erdogan
- 16:24 CET Bomb blast kills 14 at mosque in Syria’s Homs – state TV
- 16:00 CET Vice-principal of South Korea school in ferry disaster commits…
- 15:59 CET Top Hollande aide quits in conflict of interest row
- 15:19 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika set for re-election, foes cry fraud