Activists in Homs claim Syrian government forces used poisonous gas on a rebel-held neighbourhood, killing several people on Monday.
They say that more than 50 people in the district were exposed to the gas and many are in critical condition.
They claim the gas used was Agent 15, which lists suffocation, nerve paralysis, temporary blindness, and hallucinations amongst its symptoms. This is yet to be confirmed.
The attack comes a day after dozens of people were were reported dead following an air strike on a bakery in the town of Halfaya north of the central city of Hama. Videos uploaded by activists purported to show the aftermath of the attack, bloodstained bodies lying amid rubble and shrapnel.
The British-based Syrian Observatory for Human Rights put the number of dead at more than 60, although it said this number is expected to rise due to the number of people in critical condition.
Activists claim around 44,000 have been killed during the 21-month-conflict.
- 1Italian actor Bud Spencer dies at 86
- 2What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 3Lionel Messi retires from international football
- 4Paris and Berlin agree on a strategy following Britain’s shock exit vote
- 5Iceland’s new President Gudni Johannesson off to France for the football
Latest world news
Explosions at Istanbul Ataturk airport ‘kill at least 10, wound 20 people’ – officials
Thousands protest in France as Senate approves controversial labour law
Schulz urges UK to make a speedy EU exit
Volkswagen to pay historic 15.3 billion dollars for cheating US emissions tests
‘‘chères collègues, do not let Scotland down now!”
Wires > News
- 22:16 CET Norway investigators blame Airbus helicopter crash on gearbox…
- 21:46 CET Former Nigerian ministers charged with laundering 4.9 bln naira
- 21:26 CET Russia, United States blame each other for maritime incident
- 21:10 CET EU leaders tell Britain to exit swiftly, market rout halts
- 20:36 CET Iraq’s top court invalidates Abadi’s partial cabinet reshuffle
- 20:34 CET Sweden, Kazakhstan, Ethiopia, Bolivia elected to U.N. Security…
- 20:31 CET Spain arrests 13 suspected of fraud at high-speed rail project
- 20:02 CET Russian warship carried out ‘unsafe’ operation near U.S. ships -…