Egypt’s main opposition party is demanding an inquiry into the referendum on the draft constitution.
The National Salvation Front claims the second round of the vote at the weekend was marred by “fraud and violence”, including polling stations opening late and attempts to influence voters.
The NSF want the claims investigated before the results are announced.
‘‘We are committed to continuing our collective peaceful struggle in order to bring down this constitution through legitimate means as soon as possible, because it’s a constitution that is not worthy of Egyptians.’‘ said Hamdeen Sabahi from the National Salvation Front.
Initial unofficial results indicate a “yes” vote for the draft constitution, which President Mohammed Morsi says will “safeguard democracy.”
But opponents say the planned legislation fails to protect the freedoms and human rights that were the main driving force behind the 2011 uprising that ended the rule of Hosni Mubarak.
- 1What will Brexit mean for EU migrants to the UK and British expats?
- 2Will English remain as the de facto EU official language?
- 3David Cameron’s “unacceptable behaviour” to blame over referendum defeat, Oettinger tells euronews
- 4Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty explained
- 5EU friendly London shocked after Britain vote to leave
Latest world news
Deadly bomb attack on hotel in Somalia’s capital
North Korea marks anniversary of start of Korean war
More than 20 dead in West Virginia in US state’s ‘worst floods in a century’
Russian governor Nikita Belykh held over ‘large bribe’ in corruption probe
Massive petition calls for EU referendum re-run
Wires > News
- 19:32 CET U.S. Coast Guard suspends search for Florida family lost at sea
- 19:13 CET Germany’s Merkel signals sober separation from EU ‘partner’ Britain
- 19:07 CET Brazil’s Temer says women should retire earlier than men – paper
- 17:33 CET Brexit crisis tops off rough stretch in Obama’s push for legacy
- 17:25 CET Eight Indian police officials dead, 20 injured in Kashmir militant…
- 17:24 CET Somali Islamist militants attack hotel in Mogadishu
- 17:07 CET Irish unity vote for later, not now – foreign minister
- 16:58 CET Syrian or Russian air strikes kill dozens in eastern Syria -…