The Italian President has to dissolved parliament, paving the way for an election on the 24th and 25th of February. Georgio Napolitano signed the decree following the resignation of caretaker Prime Minister Mario Monti.
The crisis was triggered when Silvio Berlusconi’s centre-right “People of Freedom” party withdrew its support.
“We have come to the end of one phase and the beginning of a new one. We will play a full part in this, to assure Italy of continuity and our commitment, both over the years and in this current parliament.” said spokesman Maurizio Gasparri.
Polls suggest the centre-left Democratic Party will end up the winner.
“Italy now deserves a second phase, based on the tough sacrifices made by Italians in the past year to rescue the country from ruin, where Berlusconi’s government brought us. Now the country deserves progressive policies and reform along the lines of a very simple principle: those who have more should give more and those who have less should give less.” spokesman Dario Francheschini told reporters.
Monti is expected to announce later on Sunday if he will run again. He has faced growing pressure to seek a second term.
Speculation has centred on him becoming the unofficial leader of a centrist coalition and returning as a minister.
But the papers seem to think he will decide not to, citing disappointing polls and concerns over the centrist parties using his name.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 2Sudanese mother sentenced to death in Sudan meets the Pope in Rome
- 3Air Algerie plane missing with 116 people on board
- 4‘Eastern Ukrainians ‘hate Russian-led guerrillas’ — Yatsenyuk
- 5Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 1Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 2#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 3TransAsia Airways plane crashes on landing in Taiwan, killing dozens
- 4Ukraine suspects one of its jets was shot down by another aircraft
- 5Israelis unite around troops fighting in Gaza
- 1[LIVE UPDATE] Malaysia Airlines MH17: Dutch forensic team arrives at crash site
- 2Air Algerie plane ‘crashes’ over Sahara
- 3#ن: How an Arabic letter was reclaimed to support Iraq’s persecuted Christians
- 4298 killed as Malaysia Airlines passenger jet shot down over Ukraine
- 547 dead and 11 injured in TransAsia Airways crash landing
Wires > News
- 07:49 CET Rise of Islamic State tests Syrian army strategy
- 07:40 CET Indonesia’s constitutional court ready to take on election result…
- 06:36 CET Over half of China military airfields threatened by high-rises
- 06:28 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 06:00 CET Australia to ship Tamil asylum seekers to its mainland -…
- 05:59 CET Impossible to determine cause of South Korea ferry businessman’s…
- 04:43 CET Venezuela protests arrest of ex-intelligence head wanted in U.S.
- 04:18 CET Wreckage of Air Algerie plane carrying 116 people found in Mali