The Italian President has to dissolved parliament, paving the way for an election on the 24th and 25th of February. Georgio Napolitano signed the decree following the resignation of caretaker Prime Minister Mario Monti.
The crisis was triggered when Silvio Berlusconi’s centre-right “People of Freedom” party withdrew its support.
“We have come to the end of one phase and the beginning of a new one. We will play a full part in this, to assure Italy of continuity and our commitment, both over the years and in this current parliament.” said spokesman Maurizio Gasparri.
Polls suggest the centre-left Democratic Party will end up the winner.
“Italy now deserves a second phase, based on the tough sacrifices made by Italians in the past year to rescue the country from ruin, where Berlusconi’s government brought us. Now the country deserves progressive policies and reform along the lines of a very simple principle: those who have more should give more and those who have less should give less.” spokesman Dario Francheschini told reporters.
Monti is expected to announce later on Sunday if he will run again. He has faced growing pressure to seek a second term.
Speculation has centred on him becoming the unofficial leader of a centrist coalition and returning as a minister.
But the papers seem to think he will decide not to, citing disappointing polls and concerns over the centrist parties using his name.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1South Korea: Dramatic amateur footage emerges of final moments before stricken ferry capsizes
- 2Ukraine: US, Russia and EU strike deal after crisis talks
- 3Scientists find new Earth-sized planet that could host life
- 4Geneva talks defy predictions of failure but will words turn into actions?
- 5A mother’s slap signals mercy for a convicted Iranian murderer
- 1Ukrainian troops allegedly desert to join pro-Russian forces in Slavyansk
- 2As it happened : Kyiv and Moscow reach agreement on de-escalation roadmap
- 3‘Rubbish’: Putin slams claims that Russia is behind Ukraine revolt
- 4Pro-Russian activists seize Ukraine armoured vehicles
- 5Pictures and videos of April 15 lunar “Blood Moon” eclipse
Wires > News
- 19:56 CET Pakistani police arrest 6 suspected militant assassins
- 19:49 CET Erdogan challenges social media in top Turkish court
- 19:17 CET Bomb blast kills 14 at mosque in Syria’s Homs – state TV
- 19:17 CET Besieged Muslims face murder, starvation in Central African…
- 19:02 CET Mega salaries are evil, papal preacher tells Good Friday service
- 18:45 CET Bahraini man dies two months after being shot by police – family
- 18:44 CET Algeria’s Bouteflika wins re-election with 81.5 percent – official…
- 18:06 CET Powerful earthquake rattles Mexico, shakes buildings