As Moscow freezes in a vicious cold snap, the plight of Russia’s homeless is a growing concern and deaths are commonplace.
Thermometers have been stuck at well below freezing for a number of weeks and the resilience of those without shelter is being sorely tested.
Soup kitchens offer a lifeline, but in extreme temperatures a warm place to sleep is the only answer.
In Ukraine the government has set up some 3,000 shelters nationwide, but only 10 in the capital Kiev a city of some 4 million people.
It is not just the homeless who face difficulties:
“Old people who are unable to fetch wood for the stove are simply starving and dying from the cold like in ancient times,” said one resident.
In Kiev the lucky ones get to spend the night in a tent:
“When I arrived, they offered me a seat, gave me tea and something to eat,” said one homeless man.
In the Polish city of Krakow the poor, homeless and infirm descended on the main square where they were given traditional Christmas dishes. On the same day last year 52,000 helpings were served.
There is some cause for optimism, weather forecasters predict the cold snap in the east to end on December 24.
- 1Third night of riots rock Barcelona’s Gràcia district
- 2G7 says ‘global growth is our urgent priority’
- 3New video footage: overcrowded migrant boat capsizing
- 4French labour reform action threatens to disrupt Euro 2016 fans
- 5Leaders ‘influenced Putin’ over Savchenko release, say Ukraine pilot’s lawyers
- 1Groundbreaking study sheds light on Neanderthal life
- 2Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 3In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 4Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 5Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
Wires > News
- 23:15 CET No new signal from EgyptAir jet since day of crash, search…
- 23:08 CET Poll gives Peru’s Fujimori 5.8 point lead a week before election
- 22:55 CET Putin says Romania, Poland may now be in Russia’s cross-hairs
- 22:51 CET U.S. lawmakers want Obama to impose sanctions on Congo
- 22:26 CET Trump pulls out of debate showdown with Sanders
- 22:06 CET Ex-Guinea-Bissau PM calls government’s dismissal ‘constitutional…
- 22:04 CET Greece says sanctions against Russia not productive
- 21:54 CET U.S. judge sentences Vietnamese man to 40 years for al Qaeda…