As Moscow freezes in a vicious cold snap, the plight of Russia’s homeless is a growing concern and deaths are commonplace.
Thermometers have been stuck at well below freezing for a number of weeks and the resilience of those without shelter is being sorely tested.
Soup kitchens offer a lifeline, but in extreme temperatures a warm place to sleep is the only answer.
In Ukraine the government has set up some 3,000 shelters nationwide, but only 10 in the capital Kiev a city of some 4 million people.
It is not just the homeless who face difficulties:
“Old people who are unable to fetch wood for the stove are simply starving and dying from the cold like in ancient times,” said one resident.
In Kiev the lucky ones get to spend the night in a tent:
“When I arrived, they offered me a seat, gave me tea and something to eat,” said one homeless man.
In the Polish city of Krakow the poor, homeless and infirm descended on the main square where they were given traditional Christmas dishes. On the same day last year 52,000 helpings were served.
There is some cause for optimism, weather forecasters predict the cold snap in the east to end on December 24.
- 1Paris attacker Abdelhamid Abaaoud ‘returned to scene of shootings’
- 2Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
- 3Calls for calm as tensions rise over Turkish downing of Russian jet
- 4Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 5Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 1Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 2Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 3Turkey downing of Russian plane “a stab in the back” says President Vladimir Putin
- 4Five questions on Russia’s air strikes in Syria
- 5French police hunt new suspect over Paris attacks
- 1At least 22 people killed as Mali hotel siege ends
- 2Two suspected terrorists dead, seven arrests in police raid on apartment in Saint-Denis, Paris
- 3Fate of pilots of downed Russian jet unclear
- 4Russia confirms Turks have shot down one of its planes on Syrian border
- 5ISIL publishes video to “celebrate” Paris attacks as France continues airstrikes
- 1Coordinated terror attacks leave dozens dead in Paris
- 2euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 31000-year-old Bible found in Turkey
- 4Bomb and several shootings in central Paris – reports of fatalities and injuries
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6world Weather | euronews: world ten day weather forecast
- 7European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 8Police hunting Paris attacks mastermind battle with suspects in heart of Paris
- 9latest sci-tech news : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 10Humans consume more than planet can produce on ‘Earth Overshoot Day’
- 11International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 12Special Reports : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 13Business news and finance news | euronews: international economic and finance news
- 14Middle East - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 15New temporary spiritual leader of Muslim Brotherhood appointed
- 16Fukushima: Tepco admits contaminated water leak into the Pacific
- 17‘Anonymous’ hackers’ group declares ‘war’ on ISIL
- 18Extras : euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 19‘Maxed-out:’ Jordan’s King Abdullah II’s frank warning over Syria crisis
- 20Iraq: deadly car bombs kill more than 60 in Baghdad
Latest world news
Bus bomber kills presidential guards in Tunisian capital
Russia says second SU-24 crew member safe and back at base in Syria
Pope Francis heads to Africa with a message of religious tolerance
Canada reduces refugee intake to 10,000 by the year’s end
Chicago protests mark release of fatal shooting video
Wires > News
- 12:33 CET France detects first bird flu outbreak in years
- 12:31 CET China says must learn from Paris attacks
- 12:14 CET Singapore slashes publication bans, but not for Jehovah’s Witnesses
- 12:13 CET Turkey’s Erdogan says does not want escalation after Russian jet…
- 12:08 CET Three arrest warrants issued in widening royal insult probe
- 12:03 CET U.N. accuses Houthis of blocking supply routes to Yemen’s Taiz city
- 11:47 CET Defiant Merkel vows to stand by refugee policy despite security…
- 11:38 CET Pope heads to Africa hoping to bridge Christian-Muslim faultlines