The cava has been flowing in a small town near Madrid where 130 people are celebrating winning Spain’s famous lottery El Gordo.
Many of those who grouped together and picked “the Fat One”, worth a total of four million euros, are workers at the same factory in Alcalá de Henares.
The annual draw is billed as the world’s richest lottery.
One of the winners struggled to take the news in:
“200 000 euros: a tenth!,” he said. “We did not know we won until this morning. I don’t know what to say.”
The shopkeeper who sold the winning ticket – but did not buy a share himself – says he is happy for his friends anyway.
“My wife told me I did not get it. Next time. The fact that people I know won, for me, it is already a triumph,” he said.
The Spanish lottery is celebrating its 200th anniversary and is as popular as ever, despite – or perhaps because of – the economic gloom.
One in nine Spaniards is estimated to have bought a ticket.
The only guaranteed winner is the cash-strapped government, which is pocketing a billion euros from ticket sales. From next year winners will pay 20 per cent in tax.
- 1Spain heading for constitutional tension as Catalonia calls an early election
- 2Obama unveils US plan to cut carbon emissions
- 3Iran sizzles in some of the hottest temperatures ever known to humankind
- 4Ukrainians protest against a planned “buffer zone”
- 5Italy arrests Mafia suspects after cracking Cosa Nostra’s secret code words
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Russia unveils ‘straight’ flag, internet responds
- 3Seven reasons why Yanis Varoufakis is now a political legend
- 4Greek crisis: ‘Agreement reached’ after marathon talks
- 5International news | euronews, latest international news
- 6Nasa announces the discovery of an earth-like planet
- 7Is Saudi Arabia outlawing rainbows for being gay?
- 8French actor Gérard Depardieu ‘a threat to Ukraine national security’
- 9Pluto: New Horizons space probe provides closest-ever pictures
- 10International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 11BREAKING: Formal nuclear deal reached with Iran, says diplomat
- 12Latest News Bulletin
- 13Greece votes ‘No’ in overwhelming rejection of bailout proposals
- 14‘Imposed’ bailout deal must be implemented, says Greek PM
- 15At least 10 dead in explosion in Turkish town close to border with Syria
- 16Greece clinches deal with eurogroup after marathon talks
- 17Berlusconi linked with a shock return to government – in Russia!
- 18Israel angry as Iran and West talk up nuclear deal
- 19Varoufakis resigns after Greek referendum
- 20The Pluto flyby : what we’ve learnt so far
Wires > News
- 01:05 CET New Taliban leader moves fast to heal rifts in Afghan insurgency
- 23:57 CET Helicopter accident kills 16 police officers in Colombia
- 23:53 CET U.S. House to vote on Iran deal disapproval resolution
- 22:48 CET Germany sacks top prosecutor in row over treason inquiry
- 22:46 CET First Israeli jailed without trial in sweep over West Bank arson
- 22:37 CET Iraqis complain of poor government services as heat rises
- 21:56 CET Israel’s Netanyahu asks U.S. Jews to oppose Iran nuclear deal
- 21:33 CET Cecil the lion case charts new territory for U.S. wildlife law