The cava has been flowing in a small town near Madrid where 130 people are celebrating winning Spain’s famous lottery El Gordo.
Many of those who grouped together and picked “the Fat One”, worth a total of four million euros, are workers at the same factory in Alcalá de Henares.
The annual draw is billed as the world’s richest lottery.
One of the winners struggled to take the news in:
“200 000 euros: a tenth!,” he said. “We did not know we won until this morning. I don’t know what to say.”
The shopkeeper who sold the winning ticket – but did not buy a share himself – says he is happy for his friends anyway.
“My wife told me I did not get it. Next time. The fact that people I know won, for me, it is already a triumph,” he said.
The Spanish lottery is celebrating its 200th anniversary and is as popular as ever, despite – or perhaps because of – the economic gloom.
One in nine Spaniards is estimated to have bought a ticket.
The only guaranteed winner is the cash-strapped government, which is pocketing a billion euros from ticket sales. From next year winners will pay 20 per cent in tax.
Copyright © 2014 euronewsMore about:
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2Now is ‘right time’ for Catalonia independence vote, says Mas | euronews, world news
- 3Vatican rocked by another paedophilia scandal | euronews, world news
- 4Two container ships collide on Egypt’s Suez Canal | euronews, no comment
- 5British Muslims’ message to ISIL: Not in my name! | euronews, world news
- 6Revealed: Europe’s capital cities where it’s hardest to be a foreigner | euronews, world news
- 7Sweden becomes first European nation to recognise Palestine | euronews, world news
- 8European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 9International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 10How nasheeds became the soundtrack of jihad | euronews, world news
- 11Iceland volcano ‘pollutes Paris’ | euronews, world news
- 12Ebola: Six new suspected cases in Spain | euronews, world news
- 13Learning through “serious games” | euronews, learning world
- 14Mike Tyson: ‘You learn humbleness when you get older in life’ | euronews, the global conversation
- 15International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 16US says ISIL makes $1 million-a-day selling oil – even to enemies | euronews, world news
- 17US delivers technical aid to Ukraine but warns over security | euronews, world news
- 18euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 19Global warming to ‘cause 250,000 extra deaths a year’ | euronews, world news
- 20All you need to know about the Ebola virus | euronews, world news
Wires > News
- 03:52 CET Canadians flock to Parliament Hill, site of attack on soldier
- 03:48 CET Botswana president’s party secures election victory
- 02:17 CET Washington state teen shooter’s family living in ‘nightmare’
- 02:06 CET Tunisians vote for new parliament, hope for full democracy
- 23:59 CET Germany’s Merkel deals blow to UK on EU migration reform – Sunday…
- 23:00 CET Brazil’s election too close to call on eve of runoff
- 22:08 CET Egypt eyes legal restrictions, military measures after Sinai…
- 21:42 CET Ebola death toll tops 4,900 as virus spreads – WHO