The cava has been flowing in a small town near Madrid where 130 people are celebrating winning Spain’s famous lottery El Gordo.
Many of those who grouped together and picked “the Fat One”, worth a total of four million euros, are workers at the same factory in Alcalá de Henares.
The annual draw is billed as the world’s richest lottery.
One of the winners struggled to take the news in:
“200 000 euros: a tenth!,” he said. “We did not know we won until this morning. I don’t know what to say.”
The shopkeeper who sold the winning ticket – but did not buy a share himself – says he is happy for his friends anyway.
“My wife told me I did not get it. Next time. The fact that people I know won, for me, it is already a triumph,” he said.
The Spanish lottery is celebrating its 200th anniversary and is as popular as ever, despite – or perhaps because of – the economic gloom.
One in nine Spaniards is estimated to have bought a ticket.
The only guaranteed winner is the cash-strapped government, which is pocketing a billion euros from ticket sales. From next year winners will pay 20 per cent in tax.
Copyright © 2015 euronewsMore about:
- 1Ceasefire holds in eastern Ukraine except for Mariupol region
- 2Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 3Labeled as ‘Art/Craft’ a stolen Picasso worth millions is found in New York airport
- 4Dutch town cowers in terror over Eagle owl attacks
- 5Riots in Athens as left-wing supporters vent their anger at newly-elected premier
- 1Kyiv’s suspension of gas flow to eastern Ukraine ‘smells of genocide’ says Putin
- 2Ukraine crisis: Ceasefire appears to take hold
- 3New, huge black hole challenges pre-existing theories
- 4Mexico volcano eruption causes further flight cancellations
- 5Amnesty report blasts UN, governments for not doing protective duty
- 1Dictating fashion? The strange and unique styles of world leaders
- 2Birdman, Julianne Moore and Eddie Redmayne savour Oscar success
- 3New Gothic 20 euro note revealed
- 4Amnesty calls on permanent members of UN Security Council to lose their veto
- 5Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2eurovibes - a selection of Europe’s best music talent
- 3Exclusive: CIA and Mossad are behind Boko Haram and ISIL, says Sudan president | euronews, world news
- 4European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 5Greek debt: who will pay if Greece fails? | euronews, world news
- 6English and Spanish among happiest languages | euronews, world news
- 7Dramatic dashcam video captures Taiwan plane crash | euronews, world news
- 8International news | euronews, latest international news
- 9Data ‘mocks’ claims migrants try for Europe ‘expecting’ sea rescue | euronews, world news
- 10Watch: Ukraine MPs in fierce fist fight outside parliament | euronews, world news
- 11Live updates: follow the 2015 Oscars ceremony | euronews, world news
- 12New Greek government unveiled with radical economist named Finance Minister | euronews, world news
- 13euronews apps : iPhone, iPad, Android, Windows Phone 8, Windows 8, Nokia S40, Nokia Asha, Smart TV and Google Glass
- 14Kosovo emptying out, hopes for independent future exhausted | euronews, world news
- 15International tv news | euronews: European and International tv news bulletin
- 16Dark matter, dark energy: ESA and CERN set to unravel mysteries of the cosmos | euronews, space
- 17Canada: Valentine’s Day mass shooting plot foiled say police | euronews, world news
- 18World news video | euronews the latest world news online | breaking world news video
- 19Implanted RFID chip controls office access for Stockholm workers | euronews, hi-tech
- 20International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
Wires > News
- 14:04 CET Mexico captures most wanted drug kingpin, ‘La Tuta’
- 14:03 CET Holder says U.S. malls should ‘step up’ security – CNN
- 13:58 CET Iran, six powers to hold nuclear talks in Switzerland on March 5 -…
- 13:51 CET Germany backs Greek extension but bailout fatigue grows
- 13:49 CET In Turkish heartland, businessmen laud Erdogan’s central bank…
- 13:47 CET Holder says U.S. malls should increase security – CNN
- 13:46 CET Quarter-century after $500 million art heist, Boston mystery…
- 13:44 CET Quarter-century after $500 million art heist, Boston mystery…