Protests in India against the horrific gang rape of a young student are intensifying following the arrest of five suspects.
The 23 year-old victim is fighting for her life in hospital in New Delhi after being gang-raped on a busy bus for nearly an hour before being thrown from the moving vehicle.
The rape was filmed on phones by passengers and quickly went viral around the world, shaming police into action to pursue a crime which, it is estimated, happens once every 18 hours in the capital, India’s sex crime centre, but is rarely prosecuted.
Women’s groups are trying to turn it into a pivotal moment to improve their rights, and there have been calls for the five to receive the death penalty if found guilty. The normal rape penalty is 10 years.
It has been noted that many of the protesters are college students, and that the speed with which protests have spread nationwide may mean the world’s largest democracy is about to face the glaring sexual inequalities running through society.
National crime statistics suggest nearly 90% of violent crime in India is against women.
- 1Poland ‘has located’ buried Nazi treasure train
- 2Destination northern Europe: thousands make daily ‘journey of death’
- 3Disruption continues after travellers end French motorway blockade
- 4Martin Schulz attacks ‘cynical’ EU governments over migrants crisis
- 5Palestinian women and children force Israeli soldier to release boy
- 1euronews live TV - News | euronews : the latest international news as video on demand
- 2International breaking news | euronews online world breaking news in video
- 3Caught red-handed: the Russian Major fighting in Ukraine
- 4Video footage shows massive explosion in Tianjin, China
- 5Ukraine puts top Russian general Gerasimov on ‘most wanted’ list
- 6Snowden, Assange and Manning statues unveiled in Berlin
- 7Who came out top in the US Republican television debate?
- 8Latest News Bulletin
- 9Why World Elephant Day matters
- 10International news | euronews, latest international news
- 11UK: at least 7 dead after plane crashes into road in Brighton
- 12Virginia:TV journalist and cameraman shot dead live on air
- 13ISIL militant group claims to have killed Croatian hostage in Egypt
- 14Earth Overshoot Day…Pushing Mother Nature too far
- 15Windows 10, three weeks on: the good, the bad and the ugly
- 16Bringing the trolls out of the dark: Russian ‘troll’ awarded 1 rouble damages
- 17As ‘Daily Show’ Jon Stewart’s tenure ends, scholars say goodbye to their research topic
- 18Momentum for Mars: Astronauts say mission is inevitable
- 19European Union News | euronews: latest breaking news and headlines about European Union
- 20Scientists find sinkhole cave under Mexico’s Kukulkan Castle Pyramid
Wires > News
- 03:01 CET Obama says world must reach climate deal in Paris ‘while we still…
- 02:52 CET Suspect in Houston-area shooting of deputy appears in court
- 02:02 CET IMF approves second disbursement to Ghana
- 01:17 CET Palestinians, Israeli soldier wounded during West Bank raid
- 23:04 CET Analysis – Japan nuclear power outlook bleak despite first reactor…
- 23:00 CET Car bomb damages Italy’s ENI joint venture office in Libyan capital
- 22:20 CET Syrian court acquits free-speech campaigner
- 22:15 CET Greek banks must be recapitalised before capital controls go -…