Protests in India against the horrific gang rape of a young student are intensifying following the arrest of five suspects.
The 23 year-old victim is fighting for her life in hospital in New Delhi after being gang-raped on a busy bus for nearly an hour before being thrown from the moving vehicle.
The rape was filmed on phones by passengers and quickly went viral around the world, shaming police into action to pursue a crime which, it is estimated, happens once every 18 hours in the capital, India’s sex crime centre, but is rarely prosecuted.
Women’s groups are trying to turn it into a pivotal moment to improve their rights, and there have been calls for the five to receive the death penalty if found guilty. The normal rape penalty is 10 years.
It has been noted that many of the protesters are college students, and that the speed with which protests have spread nationwide may mean the world’s largest democracy is about to face the glaring sexual inequalities running through society.
National crime statistics suggest nearly 90% of violent crime in India is against women.
- 1Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 2Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
- 3Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
- 4Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
- 5Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
Latest world news
Dozens killed in ISIL suicide blasts in southern Iraq
Syria: Russia ‘seeks truce for Aleppo’ after wave of deadly bombings
Collapsed Kenya building ‘had no occupancy permit’
Turkey: Police officers killed by deadly car bomb near Syria border
Venezuela: More pay and less sleep as economic crisis hits hard
Wires > News
- 16:59 CET Donald Trump says Republican race all but over if he wins Indiana
- 16:04 CET Foreign minister reaffirms Japan’s economic ties to Thailand
- 15:43 CET Austrian chancellor booed at party rally after election drubbing
- 15:33 CET Russia says talks to extend Syrian lull in fighting to Aleppo
- 15:07 CET Death toll from building collapse in Kenya rises to 16
- 14:41 CET Anti-immigrant AfD says Muslims not welcome in Germany
- 14:35 CET Islamic State suicide attacks kill 32 in southern Iraq
- 14:02 CET Sturgeon says Scottish independence vote likely if she wins…