22/12/12 19:45 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
Voting in Egypt has again been extended by several hours at the end of the second, decisive round of the hotly-contested constitutional referendum.
Polling stations were still open when news came through that Egypt’s vice-president had resigned. Mahmoud Mekki, a former senior judge, took a leading role in hosting unity talks called by Mohammed Mursi. The reason is not known.
The first round of voting last week found 57 per cent in favour of the new charter for governing the country. Drafted by Islamists, it prompted weeks of protests and violence.
Queues formed early, but there have been some complaints of irregularities.
Film director Khaled Youssef said:
“I will approve the results if the vote is fair, but I see that there was some minor fraud in the first round of votes and in this round it was more serious. I think the fraud will continue.”
The prime minister Hisham Qandil turned out to vote and said that police and armed forces had provided tight security to ensure that the ballot took place correctly.
Islamist supporters of the president say the constitution is vital to move the country towards democracy.
- 1Incredible scenes in the Turkish parliament
- 2Denmark extends controls on German border, EU set to allow more Schengen exceptions
- 3Three Earth-like planets found outside the Solar System
- 4Palestinians condemn Eurovision Song Contest for flag ban
- 5Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Latest world news
French parliament debates controversial labour laws as street protests grow
Presidential hopefuls Trump and Clinton shape up as they head for the November 8 showdown
Aleppo – hopes a truce is only “hours away”
TTIP: French president Hollande says France will say no to EU-US trade deal “at this stage”
Rebels launch surprise attack on Aleppo – Syrian state TV
Wires > News
- 19:57 CET Kenya says arrests key member of militant group plotting attacks
- 19:48 CET MSF slams major U.N. powers over hospital attacks
- 19:47 CET Israeli who abducted, killed Palestinian teen gets life term
- 19:22 CET Exclusive – Differences over missile defence, fine print snag…
- 19:05 CET Islamic State kills U.S. Navy SEAL in northern Iraq
- 17:47 CET Tajik Islamists’ lawyer goes on trial on fraud, extremism charges
- 17:41 CET As U.S. rotates generals in Europe, job is prevent new ‘Cold War’
- 17:33 CET Niger tells Europe it needs 1 billion euros to fight illegal…