NATO says the Syrian military has fired more Scud-type missiles inside the country, more than a week after it reported they had been used to attack rebel targets.
The Syrian government then denied reports that it had fired several from near Damascus into northern Syria.
The Western alliance now says several short-range ballistic missiles were launched on Thursday morning.
“I can confirm that we have detected the launch of Scud-type missiles. We strongly regret that act. I consider these are the acts of a desperate regime approaching collapse,” said Nato’s Secretary General Anders Fogh Rasmussen.
Rebels are said to have made more advances, increasing the threat on President Assad’s power base in Damascus.
The Syrian military is believed to have access to a range of rockets and missiles – some capable of carrying chemical weapons. There is no evidence any have been used.