The UN has demanded an immediate halt to Israeli settlement building in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.
Further expansion has been announced in response to the UN’s recent decision to grant Palestinians the status of observer state.
All Security Council members except the US demanded the building stop, along with the Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, who said:“This is clearly a violation of international law and it is a violation of Quartet guidelines and it is an obstruction of the Middle East peace process. I’m urging the Israeli government to refrain from taking any measures of establishing settlements”
Undeterred, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says his government will push ahead with settlement expansion:“We are going to build in Jerusalem for all its residents, this is something that has been done by all previous governments and this is something that my government will continue to do.”, he told reporters.
Israel has this week approved plans for 15 hundred new homes at Ramat Shlomo in East Jerusalem. Approval for a further 2000 homes has also been granted.
Half a million Jews live in 100 similar settlements built in East Jerusalem and the West Bank since the 1967 Six Day war. The acquisition is not recognised under international law.
- 1Cuts in EU mobile roaming charges come into effect
- 2Belgium gives everyone radiation protection pills
- 3Madeleine Albright on evil, Putin, Trump, Syria and diplomatic kisses
- 4Hundreds arrested as German anti-immigrant AfD party congress begins
- 5Sweden celebrates 70th birthday of King Carl XVI Gustaf
Latest world news
Syria: Russia ‘seeks truce for Aleppo’ after wave of deadly bombings
Collapsed Kenya building ‘had no occupancy permit’
Turkey: Police officers killed by deadly car bomb near Syria border
Venezuela: More pay and less sleep as economic crisis hits hard
Barack Obama: ‘Comedian-in-Chief’
Wires > News
- 15:07 CET Death toll from building collapse in Kenya rises to 16
- 14:41 CET Anti-immigrant AfD says Muslims not welcome in Germany
- 14:35 CET Islamic State suicide attacks kill 32 in southern Iraq
- 14:02 CET Sturgeon says Scottish independence vote likely if she wins…
- 13:48 CET Russia – talks taking place on including Aleppo in Syria’s ‘regime…
- 12:43 CET Brussels airport departure hall reopens after deadly bombings
- 12:23 CET U.S.-led coalition drone kills two at Islamic State depot in…
- 12:05 CET Irish fin min likely to retain post in new government – source