The UN has demanded an immediate halt to Israeli settlement building in the West Bank and East Jerusalem.
Further expansion has been announced in response to the UN’s recent decision to grant Palestinians the status of observer state.
All Security Council members except the US demanded the building stop, along with the Secretary General Ban Ki-moon, who said:“This is clearly a violation of international law and it is a violation of Quartet guidelines and it is an obstruction of the Middle East peace process. I’m urging the Israeli government to refrain from taking any measures of establishing settlements”
Undeterred, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says his government will push ahead with settlement expansion:“We are going to build in Jerusalem for all its residents, this is something that has been done by all previous governments and this is something that my government will continue to do.”, he told reporters.
Israel has this week approved plans for 15 hundred new homes at Ramat Shlomo in East Jerusalem. Approval for a further 2000 homes has also been granted.
Half a million Jews live in 100 similar settlements built in East Jerusalem and the West Bank since the 1967 Six Day war. The acquisition is not recognised under international law.
Latest world news
Migrant death toll in Mediterranean over past week ‘rises to 880’
EgyptAir crash: doomed plane’s distress signal ‘picked up by satellites’
World No Tobacco Day: Plain packaging push to help smokers kick the habit
Brazil anti-corruption minister quits after ‘trying to spoil’ corruption probe
North Korea missile test off east coast ‘fails’, says Seoul
Wires > News
- 13:38 CET Ecstasy use jumps in Europe, no longer just a dance drug: report
- 13:35 CET With the most slaves globally, India improves response to the…
- 13:33 CET Attempted North Korea missile launch fails – South Korea
- 13:22 CET Philippine president-elect Duterte names cabinet members
- 13:06 CET Myanmar’s Suu Kyi to lead new effort on restive Rakhine State
- 12:36 CET Turkey officially designates Gulen religious group as terrorists
- 12:33 CET Nigerian sex trafficking victim – ‘Girls do not understand the…
- 12:32 CET Migrant crisis fuels sex trafficking of Nigerian girls to Europe