19/12/12 00:46 CET
| updated xx mn ago
| updated at xx
The two main Catalan seperatist parties have agreed to stage a referendum on the independence of the region in north eastern Spain in 2014.
The agreement between Artur Mas’ Catalan nationalist party CiU and the more radical Esquerra Republicana de Catalunya led by Oriol Junqueras will allow the Catalan Prime Minister to remain in power.
The pact between the two parties was necessary for CiU who lost twelve seats in the regional elections held on November 25th.
Spain’s economic crisis has helped the seperatist movement gather momentum. The Catalan nationalist parties have said the region of 7.6 million residents could have dealt with the situation better than Madrid.
Spanish Primer Minister Mariano Rajoy’s government has opposed the referendum and has vowed to block it through the Constitutional Court.
- 1Hero’s welcome for Ukraine pilot Nadiya Savchenko after Russia prisoner swap
- 2G7 leaders visit Japanese holy shrine ahead of summit
- 3Germany: #Cutesolidarity response to Kinder chocolate controversy
- 4In the EU ‘one in three deaths of under-75s is avoidable,’ says Eurostat
- 5Germany’s carrot and stick approach to refugee integration
- 1The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 2Turkey warns EU migrant deal could collapse if visa-waiver isn’t speeded up
- 3Eurozone ministers agree “breakthrough” deal with Greece
- 4More fuel frustration as French pickets refuse to back down
- 5Ukrainian pilot Savchenko back in Kyiv after 2 years in Russian jail
- 1EgyptAir crash: airline says Flight MS804 wreckage found
- 2The nuclear waste site at the heart of Canada’s wildfires
- 3Venezuela economy fractured with shortages of essentials across the country
- 4Crimean Tatars look for Eurovision boost on day of national tragedy
- 5Emergency response: inside Ecuador’s disaster zones
Wires > News
- 12:21 CET Kremlin – Putin won’t meet Elton John in Moscow this month
- 12:10 CET Iran’s Khamenei calls for vigilance against West’s ‘soft war’ -…
- 12:06 CET In dig at U.S., China says all U.S. arms embargoes should go
- 11:57 CET Kremlin – Savchenko’s release won’t accelerate warming in…
- 11:56 CET Australian family facing deportation underlines UK govt…
- 11:37 CET Niger Delta militant attack shuts down Chevron facility – company…
- 11:11 CET French union leads new anti-reform protests, seeks to maintain…
- 11:02 CET Migrant numbers growing again at Calais camp